Another rangefinder question! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Another rangefinder question!

Over the years, I've owned 2 Nikon Archer's choice. Both were very accurate out to about 100 yds, both were worth nothing when it was raining or foggy, both had angle compensation (which is nice, but not essential). After the second one went on me, I decided to go with a Vortex 1000, due to the warranty that Vortex has- lifetime. I've used it on some local 3D shoots and have found it to be off by as much as 5 yards on dark targets and in dark situations. As you know, 5 yards is the difference between a good kill, a miss, or worse, a long night tracking. I called Vortex and they said that that is acceptable at short distances on that range finder - it's less accurate under 50 yards than it is at 500- especially on black or dark targets. Since Nikon does not make the Archers Choice anymore, I'm looking for opinions- only parameters- max cost- $275. Any recommendations?

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM

It's above your price range but I have a Leica rangefinder and it's awesome.
tdd likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 06:16 AM

Leupold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Which Leupold?

Wishing I was at camp!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 AM

I have this one. Bought it 2 yrs ago. Don't know if it's still made. Go to the Leopold site and see what is similar and available. Also check eBay, saw one, new, $300.

Leupold RX-1000i Laser Rangefinder

Last edited by Heit; 07-25-2017 at 09:09 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 11:53 AM

I have had the Archers choice for years. Buy something cheaper like that and range some trees in the beginning of the season to get your distances. After that I don't pull out my range finder while in the field. Have tree marked in my head how far they are.

If you're a mobile hunter and hunt different trees all the time then I can see the need to have one out at all times, but why the extra step if it isn't needed.

I actually use mine about once a year and wonder why I even bought the things (bought one for my grandfather as well that he doesn't even use).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot2kills View Post
I have had the Archers choice for years. Buy something cheaper like that and range some trees in the beginning of the season to get your distances. After that I don't pull out my range finder while in the field. Have tree marked in my head how far they are.

If you're a mobile hunter and hunt different trees all the time then I can see the need to have one out at all times, but why the extra step if it isn't needed.

I actually use mine about once a year and wonder why I even bought the things (bought one for my grandfather as well that he doesn't even use).
I'm a "mobil hunter" in that we set 10-15 lockon stands, 4-6 ladders, and readily use my climber 4-5 hunts per week. I will rarely hunt the same area or stand twice in a week, so remembering distances isn't one of my stronger points. Even though I do a lot of 3D, I still like to get set, get my 30 yard circle of landmarks with a range finder.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot2kills View Post

I do the same thing except I put a small piece of colored marking tape on a tree branch for 20-30-40 yards. I try to use a different color for each distance. I put them in my shooting lanes or generally at 10 oclock 12 oclock and 2 oclock. Works well for me, and keeps me from having to mess around with my range finder.
1shot2kills likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 08:27 PM
Regular Visitor

Ive had a Bushnell Yardage Pro for years with no complaints. Don't need all those bells and whistles for a range finder.
whil e kioti likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittingguru View Post
I'm a "mobil hunter" in that we set 10-15 lockon stands, 4-6 ladders, and readily use my climber 4-5 hunts per week. I will rarely hunt the same area or stand twice in a week, so remembering distances isn't one of my stronger points. Even though I do a lot of 3D, I still like to get set, get my 30 yard circle of landmarks with a range finder.
In that case I do just as Marcus posted below me. Use a couple pieces of tape to mark it off at the beginning of the season and be done with it. Personally 2 pieces at 20, 3 at 30. Problem solved and you won't have to worry about a rangefinder in the field. What if the battery died? Would you stop hunting or use your best judgement? Tape on the trees would eliminate both problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page