Sighting in new sight - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sighting in new sight

Trying to sight in new Tru-glo 5 pin sight. I started at 10 yards and shot and adjusted until the grouping was centered. Adjusted second pin and instantly got good groups in the center. So then I moved back to 30 yards and most of the groups are inches to the left. I did get two towards center. But most are to the left.

I don't know if I dare adjust the sight left and right at this point. Wouldn't that mess up what I've done at 10 & 20 yards?

I'm trying to salvage the last few days I have left to hunt after missing a buck with my old sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Sighting in new sight

The farther out you get the more drastic the left to right is going to be so I would adjust it at the max distance you are planing to shoot first say 40yds then work your way in because the closer you get the less drastic it is gonna hit left to right, at least that's what I do.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 03:32 PM

Now I'm not a bow tech at all but this is what I've been told when I had the same issue a while back. After it was corrected I had no issue thereafter. So for whatever grains of salt it's worth...

It sounds like it's not the sight pins that are off but the arrow rest. You can have the pins dialed in at close range 10-20yds but when you get further out if you notice that your grouping is off then your the arrow rest may be off and it's the arrow rest that need to be adjusted back to its correct position first. If your arrow rest is in perfect position then you should have no issue with your pins being off left or right the further you go out when sighting it in.

Again, not bow tech and if

Casey W. Roe

Remember the "Q" in QDM means Quality...not Quantity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 03:55 PM

This is a rest issue not a sight problem. Move your rest a very small amount in the direction the arrow is impacting. Arrow hits left move rest to the left. Again a very small amount 1/32" or 1/16". Once you have corrected the problem sight the bow in.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:03 PM
Part of the Community

i agree with the above
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letumgrow
This is a rest issue not a sight problem. Move your rest a very small amount in the direction the arrow is impacting. Arrow hits left move rest to the left. Again a very small amount 1/32" or 1/16". Once you have corrected the problem sight the bow in.
Yup it is a rest issue but you would most liklely need to move the rest the opposite way of your point of impact to correct the issue, not the same way (in your situation with a left impact move the rest a hair to the right). Do a search on walk back tuning and you will find all the info you need to set the center shot on your rest. Once centershot is set properly then sight in your pins.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:11 PM

You got it right sendero. I thought it right bt wrote it wrong.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks for the replies.

I put a whisker biscuit on before the season started. I was shooting good at 20, 30, and 40 yards with the old three pin sight. The sight moved somewhere in between.

I'm going out to work on it. I'll try moving the biscuit to the right. Right?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 05:21 PM

GSP,
First I'd take it to an archery shop and they'll get the centrpoint on your arrow rest reset. It's all but impossible to do this by eye and won't cost you hardly anything do get it done; if anything at all pending how cool your archery shop is. Once that's done you can then paper tune the bow to make sure no otehr adjustments to your noc point or arrow rest is needed either. Then adjust your sights as needed after all that.

Casey W. Roe

Remember the "Q" in QDM means Quality...not Quantity.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:11 PM

If the sight has a level make sure it is leveled with the bow( hang bow from a rope and hang jug of water off bottom cam to level the bow, then adjust sight to level). Then make sure you are not canting the bow while at full draw, the smallest bit off will not show at 10 but will be exagerated the further back you go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page