Hand release - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Hand release

Thinking about trying a thumb triggered release in lieu the index finger wrist type for hunting. Any thoughts or experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Born, check out archerytalk, after ya filter through the basic crap there is some great info.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ftup View Post
Born, check out archerytalk, after ya filter through the basic crap there is some great info.
Did that thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

B2H, great question, look forward to inputs from fellow members on HPa.com.

Chaos
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 09:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hunt with a Scott Exxus and shoot indoors with a Scott Longhorn pro. Both have about the size frame and feel to me except the Exxus is a thumb release and the Longhorn a back tension. Thumb releases are great for hunting because you lock them on the string and your ready nothing tethered to your wrist. The Exxus has a crisp trigger and uses a sear firing mechanism, the down side of these type of thumb releases they are more expensive, must be cocked, and have a slight noise when it goes off. Probably the most popular thumb releases are the caliber type, they are easier to load on the string and silent. Tru Ball makes some nice hunting caliper type thumb releases. The Scott Exxus is no longer made or serviced by Scott.

The older I get the better I was.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 10:56 PM
New Arrival

Get the thumb release you will be glad you did once you get used to it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

How much of a transition to switch from wrist/finger to hand/thumb? Does it change draw length?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Been reading about "surprise release" for years. I do this quite well with rifle target shooting; however, with a compound bow I tend to jerk the trigger mostly on 3D, back yard target and when I am shooting a number of rounds. I can remember a "Surprise release" on my black bear and on a few of my bucks and all of those were quick kills.

Does this type of shooting take a long time to perfect noting I have 40 + years of pulling the trigger to create the shot. Is it worth it?

In my early search for a hand/thumb release I am currently looking at T.R.U. Ball Fang or mini or a Hardcore 4 Revolution with the latter being more expensive.

Keep in mind I am most concerned about the release being "hunter friendly" and very reliable under normal hunting conditions.

Is a wrist string a must? Like the idea of hanging the release on the loop for ready. What are the key things to look for in this type of release? Don't like any additional noise.

Also I am now shooting poundage in the low 50's due to triceps surgery on both arms.

Any thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Born2Hunt; 07-23-2017 at 11:24 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 02:03 PM

I hunt with a thumb release. All my other shooting is with a hinge.
With a surprise release your misses are smaller & alot of times you think you were not close to center, but it goes there anyway. Your subconscious is always centering the pin.
When I teach people how to shoot a surprise release , I use a resistance release. Almost impossible to cheat it.
When coming to anchor with your wrist release, wrap your finger around the trigger, so you feel some tension. Then pull as though you are drawing the bow another 1/4 inch. The release should fire with a surprise release. This is how my daughter fires her release.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2017, 02:09 PM

If you want to shoot with a surprise release, The release should have no trigger movement before it fires. The more expensive releases have more adjustment for this. My daughter shoots a Like Mike release. It is highly adjustable (0-4lbs) with no trigger creep at all. Thumb releases are the same & should be fired with the same method.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in