Nocturnals shooting low - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Nocturnals shooting low

Lost a few arrows last year on deer. Decided to shoot lighted nocks this year.
Bought some nocturnals and was shooting them with some regular nocks. The nocturnals impact about an inch to 1.5" below the regular nocks at 30. Is this what I should expect? If so, do you guys shoot lighted nocks all the time for practice? Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 03:49 PM

It could be the difference in weight is changing your FOC but 1.5" sounds like quite a bit? I use the lighted nocks that GWS had out and they had practice nocks that had allen cap screws installed so they matched the weight of the lighted nocks. Also could be they are fitting on your serving that much tighter and causing a change?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Antler View Post
Lost a few arrows last year on deer. Decided to shoot lighted nocks this year.
Bought some nocturnals and was shooting them with some regular nocks. The nocturnals impact about an inch to 1.5" below the regular nocks at 30. Is this what I should expect? If so, do you guys shoot lighted nocks all the time for practice? Thanks for the input.
I would think, if you are only shooting an inch to an inch and a half low at 30 yards you sure should not be missing many deer or losing many arrows. Perhaps there might be another issue to be explored?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
I would think, if you are only shooting an inch to an inch and a half low at 30 yards you sure should not be missing many deer or losing many arrows. Perhaps there might be another issue to be explored?
I wasn't missing deer. I hit all that I shot at. I just couldn't find my arrows afterwards. So I decided to shoot nocturnals this year to cut down on losing expensive arrows after shooting deer. Practicing here this year with them they shoot lower then my regular nocks. I need to adjust to what I'm shooting.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 08:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shed antler i will tell you this about them I just started shooting them last year and this year I bought a new rest for my bow so I went to my bow shop and went to paper tune it and shoot it through the chronograph I took 3 arrows with me and when I shot all 3 through the chrono i noticed the one had a nocturnal in it and when I shot them the first 2 was 253 fps and the one with the nocturnal shot at 249 fps ! I'm going to get my bow sighted in at 20 yds dead on with the 2 arrows and then shoot the nocturnal and se what it does !
I also put a new single pin MBG verdict sight on my bow so i have to put the sight tape on it ! I guess I'm going to put the tape on for the 249 fps since thats what i'll be hunting with !

I'll let you know what i'l shooting low after I get my bow sighted in !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 08:59 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I've never run into that with nockturnals. I have used them for a while, and I've also used Luminocks and Fire Nocks, and none have changed POI for me vs non-lit nocks.

I would maybe re-look at tuning and see what's up there. Out of tune can cause goofy things. I had such a "goofy thing" cost me a beauty of a buck last fall. I wound up getting a new bow mid-season because I smacked a limb on the stand and splintered it. While waiting to see what was up with the old bow, I got a new one.

Tuned it for center-shot at the shop, and messed with it in the yard shooting it a bit and shot to 30 and was good to go, or so I thought. I was using Rage Hypodermics, and verified everything to 30 yards.

A buck solidly into the 120" range, I'm very sure, gave me a 33 yard broadside. I let a clean shot go, felt like it was dead on the mark, but it hit about 6" low, hitting him squarely in the brisket. I saw him standing at 50 yards in bino's after the shot and could see the hit. I tracked him about 500 yards before I lost the trail and gave up. I saw him on the last day of rifle season looking fine, so that was good.

Anyway, where this bears on this situation is that I went home after the flubbed shot and took that same arrow I used to shoot the buck and shot it at 33. I didn't move my sight (HHA slider) from how I had it when I shot the deer. I went to where my RF said "33" like it did where I found the hair from the hit on the buck. Put a field point on. Took a shot...boom...right on target. Assumed I just screwed up.

Then I took the actual broadhead I used, cleaned it, folded it up, and shot it on the same arrow at the same distance. 6" low.

Set it up again, went to 30 yards. 3 yards closer. 3. Another shot.... right on the mark. It dropped 6" in that 3 yard difference.

So I broke out my old Muzzy 100gr 3-blade heads. Fixed blade heads. Shot them alongside field points and started the broadhead tuning I SHOULD have done right away on that bow. In about 30 min, I had the Muzzy heads hitting with FP's out to 50 yards. And then the Rages were fine, too.

What needed tuned? My rest needed to be moved about 1/16-1/8" vertically. That little bit of movement made the difference...and had I done it right away like I should have...and knew I should have....that nice buck I screwed up on would now be on my wall and in my freezer.

Moral of the story....changes of POI, look at your tuning first. And don't accept pro-shops saying you're centered and shouldn't move your rest. Also don't do the stubborn thing I see people do where they tune bareshafts through paper, get a bullet hole and say "it's perfect, don't touch it. " Nope. That's your good start, but I then will use bareshaft tuning (shoot bareshafts with fletched, should be able to get them basically grouping together to 20 or 30 yards), and I always finish with broadhead tuning. I find that going paper, then bareshaft, then broadhead (I skip paper if bareshafts are close at 10 yards) is sort of like going to finer grits of sandpaper. Each method strips away issues, and the end result is good arrow flight and no change in POI from fp's to bh's, and I generally verify that past my shooting distances for hunting (I got lazy last fall and shouldn't have).

In fact, to verify there's no issues in arrow flight, I often use my Nockturnals, as any fishtailing or porpoising will be much more easily seen on an arrow with a lit nock than a standard one. I've never seen them make any POI change once my tuning is done, and I've never shot them prior to tuning, so I'm not sure what they do on an untuned bow.

Regardless, that's where I'd be starting if it was my bow.....tuning.
Shed Antler likes this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:04 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Regardless, that's where I'd be starting if it was my bow.....tuning.

Have to agree with tdd. I shoot Nocturnals and my POI is exactly the same as my regular nocks. I am also meticulous about tuning. I paper tune with a fletched shaft at 5 yards, then walk back tune and finally broadhead tune.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 03:25 PM

Don't want to start anything but how can adding almost 20 g. to the BACK of an arrow have Zero effect on POI? I used to be a top notch 3-d comp. shooter but with my hunting set-up I'm not nearly as accurate and wouldn't likely notice small changes in POI at normal distances?
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asajoe1 View Post
Don't want to start anything but how can adding almost 20 g. to the BACK of an arrow have Zero effect on POI? I used to be a top notch 3-d comp. shooter but with my hunting set-up I'm not nearly as accurate and wouldn't likely notice small changes in POI at normal distances?
Well this was my thought. I'm pretty particular about my groups and even at 20 I noticed that they would be on the lower right side off the group. At thirty and 35 the separation grew. So I will get it tuned up with the nocturnals.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asajoe1 View Post

You're not adding 20 grains....it's 20 g. minus the weight of your standard nock which can weigh nearly 13 g. depending on what type.

I do agree that even a small change in anything could change poi, but I always suggest a well tuned bow first. OP also said arrows were grouping right......my guess is a tune-up will fix this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page