Arrow penetration - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Arrow penetration

I am shooting a Bear "Lights Out" at 60lbs and the rage 3 blade. last year i shot a doe at 25 yds and the arrow only got one lung and a buck at 15 yards and the arrow only got one lung. no pass thru on either. luckily i saw both deer pile up so it was an easy track. today, hit a buck at 15 yrd and the arrow barely pentrated at all. i saw the arrow sticking out of him as he ran away. but after 8 hours, no more daylight and no blood i had to quit looking. Does anyone else have pentration issues? Should i look at my bow setup, or is it the braodhead? Frustrating to see this happen. All 3 of these shots were placed good.

Work Hard; Hunt Harder!
Units 4A and 4D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:31 PM
The Man

Re: Arrow penetration

What arrows are you shooting? Maybe they are a bit heavy? As much as I would like to bash the rage I won't. Gotta be something wrog with you set up. With that said though, if I had the same thing happen twice in a row I would switch broadheads.

Venison - The other fast food
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I hate to blame broadheads as well, but I had this same thing happen with rage 3 blades several years ago at almost 90 ft/lb of KE. All shots under 25 yards, no passthrus. However, you may have arrow flight problems. If your arrow flight is not good, penetration in greatly reduced. You should paper tune your bow, and possibly try walkback tuning with your rage practice head, to check arrow flight. And heavier arrows would increase penetration, not decrease it, so if they are heavy, leave them heavy. I would rather have an arrow thats too heavy, than too light.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sir,first have an archery shop check your bows draw weight with a scale.Also get on EBAY and type in Satelite Aero broadheads..These were made back in the 80s and are excellent penetrators for deer. Order some of them and your next shot at deer will make you happy of its performance.I too have a slow bow with 60-65 pounds draw but have killed 2 very large bucks with these broadheads and performance was excellent.Also remember the closer you are to the deer the more energy your bow will be producing. I like the 5-15 yards range.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think a FIXED broadhead stuck inside the vitals while the deer is running is every bit as good as one that passes through and proves how awesome your bow is. It must have been tough for the Native archers with their flint tipped arrows and all.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

In my opinion 60 lbs is a little lite for a broadhead with a 1 1/2 inch cutting diameter or bigger, fixed or mechanical !

You'd be better off with an 1 1/4 inch or smaller, fixed or mechanical.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think its a whole lot easier to track them with a big old hole in both sides, and an arrow through both lungs. Just my .02

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Easton's website has a kinetic energy calculator and a bar graph of what KE you need to kill various game. You just punch in your lbs. and arrow speed. http://www.eastonarchery.com/softwar...ector2009.zip. The KE and FOC calculators are part of the shaft selector software and it's just a quick download.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 11:55 PM
The Man

i pretty much have the same bow. Instinct set at 63 pounds with XT hunter arrows. I only use expandables for turkey. Bow is in tune, and I have done walk back tuning. Complete pass throughs on 3 deer. 13 yards, 20 yards, 29 yards. Slick tricks. I could shoot most any fixed head w/o flight issues. (I have tried many).

#1 Make sure your in tune
then decide if you need to switch heads

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootbowtech
I think its a whole lot easier to track them with a big old hole in both sides, and an arrow through both lungs. Just my .02
I edited my post to mean FIXED broadhead in the boiler room. I have seen some impressive wounds from the Rage broadheads but you can't bank on a pass through shot. If it goes in an hits a rib on the way out then you're stuck with what ya got. If it doesn't pass through then you want as much damage being done as possible while the deer is in motion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page