GROUND BLINDS - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

GROUND BLINDS

I was out over the weekend doing some bow hunting in n.y.s.
I have a ground blind set up over a well used trail and for the last few hunts I did not see a deer or bear.
I was out on Monday Morning in the ground blind and about 8;30 AM I hear a large blue bird behind me sound it like some one was hammering a nail into the tree,I did look to the rear and here he was beating on the tree bark:
I must of watch him for a least 2 to 3 min: and when I turned my head back to the shooting window there is a small basket 4 pointer looking into the blind window about 13 Ft. from me.I was shock he did approch the blind on a blind spot of the corner between the windows I never heard or seen him comming.I am sitting there bow in hand and tried to lean away from the window and i started to draw the bow back NO WAY he heard my elbow scuff the rear of the blind and it was all over.The blind works outstanding too bad i did not see him comming otherwise a 5 to 6 yard shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: GROUND BLINDS

lonewolf5347, i use a double bull matrix 360 and ive had turkeys so close you could grab there necks!deer come so close sometimes that there vitals block the window[camo netting down ] i love this blind!!!!!!! sets up in seconds.. excellent for rattling! turkeys, making videos! the big plus is...... hunt anywhere... even in the middle of grass feilds. i use this 50% of time!!!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

I have another blind
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...0014&id=0028694
I was going to try this year but got lazy to swap blinds.The cabelas is a lot larger inside and has more room to draw a bow without hitting the material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Frequent Contributor

you can draw back any bow in this blind! double bull makes one thats taller in center for long bows now. but if you have a compound its easy to draw. thats if you use there tri-pod chair. it puts you the same height sitting as opening on window.67" center and 6' square 2 people can sit side by side and have lots of room[including shooting windows] plus gear. if you ever seen any double bull videos there all true! i cant believe how good this blind works.. shoot through netting for deer, open window for turkeys in black gear.i never knew how many times turkeys blink until i got this blind. during spring gobbler this year i had gobblers struttin so close that they rubbed the fabric of the blind. bowhunting turkeys in this blind is just amazing!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:31 PM
jpa
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm getting to old to climb and have been thinking of getting a ground blind. Seem's to me that they would stand out like a sore thumb??? I don't know?? Do you set up in some bushes or what?? I know nothing about them?? Would want one mainly for Archery.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 PM
The Man

ive had lots of deer come in close to my blind, also had people walk up to it one time and say some stupid stuff without even realizing I was sitting inside it. they took off real quick when I said something to them. I think they were thinking about stealing it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

ive set them up anywhere, the shape of my 360 makes the difference! hub style holds fabric so tight that it dosent shimmy in the wind! its not square, more eight sided. only in real high winds i use plastic stakes outside ropes to secure. i never set up in advance, takes 7 seconds to put up with a little practice. the video that comes with it shows you the trick. learning to do it in the dark takes practice. ive hunted out of 23 different blinds and this one by far is the best!! if your going to spend money on something to give yourself a advantage [equal to a treestand] buy this. ive sneaked up on deer opened blind , had deer walk by 3 yards away......never knew i was there. hunt where you have the advantage not the deer!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

if you hunt mostly woods buy the dark horse, the camo works better. but if you hunt feilds and woods buy the matrix[predator "deception" camo] they both work great! i see more bucks out of this blind than a treestand. only because of placement of blind in cover void of trees! rabbit hunters know this!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 02:39 AM
jpa
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret
lonewolf5347, i use a double bull matrix 360 and ive had turkeys so close you could grab there necks!deer come so close sometimes that there vitals block the window[camo netting down ] i love this blind!!!!!!! sets up in seconds.. excellent for rattling! turkeys, making videos! the big plus is...... hunt anywhere... even in the middle of grass feilds. i use this 50% of time!!!!

Where did you buy that Double Bull Matrix360???? I'm in the Pittsburgh area.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 04:34 PM

I use an ameristep g30 hub
It works well
I set it up on the edge of a feild just barely in the woods.
Great oppurtunity to take the little ones out for a hunt
Their squirming around goes unnoticed
Also
It can take some real beating wind and makes no noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page