Rage Broadheads - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Rage Broadheads

They truly are "like throwing an axe at an animal," however I had a less than perfect experience with the Rage 2-blade on October 27th. Put a perfect broadside shot (double lung) on a buck at 20 yards. Arrow was covered in blood, stuck in the ground, complete pass-through. Absolutely no blood trail at all. Not one single drop. Thank God the beast laid dead a mere 60 yards away, and I heard him crash so he was easy to recover. This is the first Rage hit i've made or heard about that didn't have a blood trail that looked like it came from a fire hose. Maybe it just didn't open up the whole way? Anyone else have a similar experience?

In the wind, he's still alive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 03:50 AM

Today is Esox_Hunter's birthday!
Re: Rage Broadheads

High lungs maybe? I have seen high lung hits where the deer hardly left a blood trail and was found within 80 yards piled up.

What did the entrance and exit hole look like? If he only went 60 yards I doubt the blades didn't deploy.

Anyways, congrats on the buck kill, do you have any pics?
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Part of the Community

Man My Doe the other evening with 3 blade rages looked like a river flowing down the trail...She only made it 30 yrds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to ReDnEcKbOhUnTeR

i've shot 2 deer with rage 3 blades this year, one quartering to me in the front shoulder and one quartering away through rib cage and out behind the front shoulder... with a 60 lb. hoyt and they both only went about 40 yds and died....crazy blood trails..

Mike Miller
All American Outdoors Pro Staff
Facebook.com/allamericanoutdoors
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

The 8 point I killed on November 2nd left no blood trail at all & he piled up at 50-60 yards. The entry hole was huge but the arrow did not completly exit. The doe I shot on November 3rd left a big blood trail & piled up at 50-60 yards. The last twos years I shot a 10 point & a 9 point that both left great trails. All deer have been shot with Rage 3-blade 100 grains. It just depends on where you hit the animal ... The 8 point I killed this year was hit high lung ... Thats why there was a lack of blood. I love the broadheads personally ... and have nothing bad to say about them at all!
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

I killed an 8 point on oct 27th that had an awesome blood trail with a rage 2 blade. I guess it just depends on the hit. Everyone i have talked to who uses them loves them.

"Ain't Nothin Safe"
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Send a message via AIM to ReDnEcKbOhUnTeR

the first deer i shot in the shoulder starting bleeding really bad right away and continued to get better and was pouring blood everywhere died after 40 yds...the second one i shot quartering away through the high lung and out the opposite shoulder...pass through...didnt bleed well until about after 20 yds...was real spotty and had chunks of stuff in the blood... well something must have clogged it up because she turned and ran up a little hill after like 20 yds and when she turned up its like someone pulled the plug...ill try and post a picture of here sometime but it looked like a hose was spraying blood...literally about 6 in wide of solid blood with barley any stop for like 20 yds til she was layin here dead

Mike Miller
All American Outdoors Pro Staff
Facebook.com/allamericanoutdoors
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Part of the Community

I have heard that with 2 blades the hole will some times seal up, and you wouldn't get a very good blood trail.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 11:54 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger175
I have heard that with 2 blades the hole will some times seal up, and you wouldn't get a very good blood trail.
I think I agree with ya ranger. The couple times I have heard of this, they have been the 2 blades. This allows a greater possibility of the entry to seal since its one, straight-line slice.

With a 3 blade, the entry would be more difficult to seal on its own

2F for a while...
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 PM

My BIL killed 2 doe this year with Rage 2 blades. Absolutely no blood on either deer. The first was from a treestand with the hit high behind the shoulder and hitting opposite shoulder(no exit wound). Deer went about 100 yards. The second was from the ground, level shot, hit right behind the shoulder, 1/2 way up the body. Traveled about 75 yards. Both were difficult to find because they went out and hooked left/right in thick cover.

Born to hunt, forced to work!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page