Sights - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
tlh
Regular Visitor

Sights

I'm looking to replace my sight since I've somehow managed over the last season to crack the housing on it. I'm shooting a Hoyt Spyder 30 set at 65 lbs. I have a TruGlow on it now, but it's a few years old and now it's cracked. I use a 1/4" peep with a verifier. Not sure what pin size would be best - .019 or .029. Looking for opinions on a decent sight that I don't have to spend $200 on. 5 pin preferably but open to suggestions. Any suggestions/opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 05:52 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like the HHA single .010 pin in the 2 inch housing for hunting deer. The 2 inch housing will align with a 1/4 peep and give you a better field of vision than the 1 5/8 scope that HHA also makes. I think there is around six feet of fiber optics wrapped on a two inch housing that makes the .010 pin super bright and appear bigger and recommend a .010 pin. There are so many great options available for sights it's hard to pick one without trying them out and that's usually not an option.

The older I get the better I was.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 09:54 AM

There are lots of good sights out there. That being said the old adage "you get what you pay for" comes in to play. Some of the cheaper sights will work just as well as the more costly ones assuming nothing out of the ordinary occurs like dropping a bow on to the sight or running a stick thru it in the dark. Then you will be glad you have steel pins or an aluminum housing. You will of course pay more if it is micro adjustable in all directions. I will agree sometimes you pay more just for a "name" and there are quality products out there for more reasonable prices if you look around, GWS sights for one example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 12:02 PM

On Ebay Davis sights has a 3 pin target sight for 149 dollars.

I have this sight with a 1 pin scope on it. Its a very good sight for the money & I use mine year round ( winter league, 3d, & hunting) It has held up to everything for the last 4 years.

This might be more than you want to spend, but as ASAJoe1 said you get what you pay for.
This sight has all 3 axis adjustments + micro adjustments.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
tlh
Regular Visitor

I guess I should have clarified just a bit. I don't want to spend a fortune, however, if the sight is absolutely the best thing ever made then I will buy it. Also, I use a verifier because the older I get the worse my eyes are. I use the verifier because I never have gotten used to shooting with my glasses on. That's also the reason for the question about pin size.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have the same problem with the verifier ! I bought a Black Gold Ascent single pin in the .10 size and I found out that the single pin and the smaller size has less blur and more clarity through the peep and housing. The pin and glow ring is also very bright for line up with your peep ! if you do a search on google you can find several sights that are normally $250 for $145. check out jet.com some great deals on there !

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:06 PM

I use an hha with the .019 pin. It's small enough to shoot accuratly at longer distances and big enough to see no matter the lighting conditions.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My eyes are not that great anymore, when I look at my pin I see a starburst instead of a dot. Would a verifier help me?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by little antlers View Post
My eyes are not that great anymore, when I look at my pin I see a starburst instead of a dot. Would a verifier help me?
I'm sure it would ! Go to your local shop and ask them to install one on your bow so you can check it out (they do have different power)
There is a trade off though that I found ! your pins will clear up but your target will be a little blurry with one power and with a different power your target will be clear but your pins will be a little blurry !

I couldn't get it right so I just went back to wearing my glasses ! Hope you can get it squared away !
By the way they have verifiers and clarifiers not exactly how they both work !!
little antlers likes this.

Blend in or go hungry !!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 AM

Axcel Armourtuff.... Its bomb proof....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page