The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Matthews halon 32-6 " was anti matthews"

8K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  maytom 
#1 ·
Well finally went to the dark side. I maybe have shot a matthews bow like 3 times my entire life. Went to the pro shop was checking out the hoyts, glanced at the matthews on the rack and was like God those things ugly. Picked one up was even more shocked what is this a brick with 22's for cams. Picked up hoyt and went and shot. Few guys come in with the whole line up of the halons.

I set my feelings aside and shot the halon 6 first. First pull kinda ok didn't like the grip, pulling back thought ok not to to bad. Good back wall. Released I was like wow junk. Didn't give it a chance. Couldn't get over the hand position, and the weight for a bare bow.

Shot the 5 not for me, I'm to torquey with my grip. Shot the 7 kinda weird.

Back up was the 6. Shot it about 15 times and started to love the feel. Nice everything steady pull, back wall, release. Hand position started feeling more natural. Accurate with nothing on. Was thinking I can't like a matthews what's wrong with me. Went up front and was like naw can't shoot a matthews.

Seen a halon 32-6. What's the difference just riser length ok I'll go shoot this one. Took the 6 and the 32 6 back shot around 50 more arrows out of both. Both bows were awesome shooters. Stood there thinking these bows are smoking accurate with nothing on. Dead in the hand, smooth, pulling 65 pounds felt like 50. Just enough feedback, was shocked on everything.

Decided on the halon 32-6 in stone. I'm a taller, lankier shooter. Longer riser helps with the string angle for longer draws. I still think it's ugly looks are growing on me though. I have owned all brands but matthews till now.

For anti matthews guys and girls blind fold yourselves shoot around 30+ shots and I think you'll like it. Don't complain about the extra 8oz of bow. I really feel if you hate the way it looks how it shoots makes up for it. For me it's the most accurate, forgiving bow I have ever shot. I'm a huge matthews basher and now I own one.

See less See more
#3 ·
Two guys in my league have Halon 6's and like them. The Halon X with the 35 ata and 7 inch brace would be more my style but the 1299 msrp is a little steep. I have never shot a Mathews, but would like to give the Halon X a try as long as none of my buddies find out about it.

#4 ·
I bought a Hoyt Defiant recently, but my close second choice was the Halon. And I'm also not a fan of Mathews.

If they had a different grip on them, I'd probably have gone with the Mathews. It was quieter than the Defiant by a tad, but the Defiant was a more natural grip for me. I'd have had to acclimate to the Mathews, for sure.

But I agree with all you posted about it....it's a nice bow.

#5 ·
I know its crazy but it is what it is. Still think it's ugly but growing on me. Kinda like having the nerdy girl friend in high school.

Just gonna peel the matthews stickers off. They'll never know.

The grip took some getting use to. That was a big sticking point at first. That's why I kept shooting. The more I shot the more accurate and the more I liked it. Like I said I'm a huge matthews basher to. Took some time and with blinders off its a great bow.

#6 ·
I actually went wanting a Bowtech, since I have a 2009 Bowtech Captain that I'm very fond of.

I shot the BT-X and liked it and thought, ok, that's it.

Then to be sure, I shot a Prime bow (forget which one), the Halon, and the Defiant.

The BT-X went to the bottom of the list. All were good, to be sure....I just liked the others better. And the Halon, without the 2x4 grip, would have been #1, no question. I liked it's draw cycle, speed, quietness, etc. Just really didn't like that grip.

#7 ·
I was in love with my No Cam, til I picked up a Hoyt Defiant 34. I went out and played with the Halons, but the grip and I didn't get along. They are outstanding bows, but the fit and feel for me just wasn't there. None the less, my No Cam went to my daughters boyfriend, after I picked up a Defiant 34 for a STEAL. I have no idea why Mathews added 2 inches of ATA and remarketed the Halon like that, when the short ATA rage is still alive and well.

#11 ·
That's one thing I thought was gimmicky in the Defiant marketing, but actually seems to play out as they say it will.

The cam design gives a 32" ATA bow a string angle of a 34" ATA bow. It feels nearly identical to my Bowtech Captain in that regard.

#12 ·
My previous two bows have been Mathews (Outback, Z7). I have shot new bows the past 3 years wanting to get a new one but just didn't find anything that was better than the Z7. Last year I flung a few arrows with the Halon and didn't care for it much. This year I tried the Halon and Halon 32 at the same time, each only a few arrows and still didn't seem to think they were much better if at all better than the Z7. Recently I was able to a good amount of time shooting the Halon and Halon 32 and began to really like them. I decided that if I could find used Halon for a good price I would pick one up since I wanted a new bow and needed a back up (Z7). Finally got a smoking deal on a used one fully set up just how I would do it myself and went for it. The more time I spend shooting it and fine tuning it to my liking, the more amazing I think it is compared to my Z7. I have yet to have a bow that balances as well, holds as steady, shoots as quite, or is as accurate. Even the shots I break off that feel like they were bad are spot on. AND the Stone Tactical looks killer!

Lesson I learned is that you really need to spend some time with a bow to see how you like it, flinging 6 arrows in a busy shop is not going to do it.

#13 ·
Yeah finally learned that this year. Most years had in my head what I wanted. Shoot a few and oh well get the one I wanted. This year just happened by chance. Still not fond of the looks but it shoots. Most forgiving bow I have ever shot. Shots I pull are still right there. My last hoyt would have been 6 to 8 inches off at 20.

#15 ·
Just bought a Halon X for shooting indoors and Darts. It came with a HDA pro 2 grip and the stock square grip. I just bought a focus grip also to give it a try. The bow holds really steady and I shot well with it shooting darts Friday which was the day I got the bow and set it up. It took a little while to tune compared to what I have been used to shooting elites and I had to swap the top hats to get rid of a 1 1/2 inch left tear. I will still hunt with an Elite, but the Halon X will make a great target bow.

#16 ·
I am a diehard Mathews owner for over 22 years now. My first one was their "Ultra-Light" model, shot that one for almost 10 years before selling it and buying a "Switchback". Had that bow for over 10 years now, and two weeks ago became a new owner of a Halon 32 myself. LOVE the new bow!!! Only thing I did was drop down from a 60-70lb. weight range to a 50-60lb. instead. At 62, and with the added speed of the Halon, I wanted to make it a little easier to draw back. Have it set at 58.6lbs. as we speak. I also went with the 6" brace height model in their "lost camo" color.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.