Broadhead recommendation - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Broadhead recommendation

I have used Rage broadheads with the chisel tip for the last several years and have had decent success with them. But this past year I shot a buck that ran a lot farther than I would have expected after a decent shot. It was a good shot and when I pulled the arrow out of the ground, it seem like the one side of the blade was not properly extended. The same thing happened to another buddy of mine. A week later, I shot a doe that didn't make it 20 yards. So when they work, they seem to work great. But I'm not confident that they extend like they are supposed to all of the time. I know people have switched to the rage hypodermic and are happy with them. I also have a buddy that recommended Swhackers. Just looking for thoughts and recommendations because I initially planned to go back to the fixed broadheads rather than the mechanical ones but now I'm not sure what I want to do. The reason I am thinking about this now is because I am hoping to catch some clearance sales in the next month or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

I have had great luck using Steelforce Broadheads. Made right here in PA!! Personally I use the Phathead 100's. They won't put near as big of a hole in a deer as the mechanicals but they go right where you are aiming!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 12:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just can't make the leap of faith to mechanicals. I know they work the majority of the time but to me one failure is enough to make me skeptical. I moved to Muzzy Trocars this year. Hardly any tuning required and my double lung shot went 25 yards with a blood trail a blind man could follow. Blades looked unfazed and could be used again.

First year experience but very happy so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 01:56 PM

Well I switched to the rage for the first time this year. Hypodermic, buck and 2 doe with them this year. I gotta say they had entry holes that were huge. They worked good for me, I'll will use them again next year.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 02:05 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

Ram Cat !!!!!! Fly great and always open !!!!!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 06:52 PM

Iv'e used thunderheads for years, never had one fail to open. Decent sized holes (usually 2) decent bloodtrails, although it's probably been around 10 years since in actually needed a bloodtrail, they almost always go down within sight.

Pence/Putin 2024
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:04 PM

Thunder heads for me also since the mid 80's...have taken more than one buck with the same head. 250 lb black bear went 40 yds.+-. This years 10 point lived less than 20 sec. and made it about 20 Yds. falling in sight.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I tried Grizz Tricks for the first time this year. All three deer went down within sight with nice sized holes.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 06:15 AM
Part of the Community

I used Muzzy for years and made the switch to Wasp drones over the past offseason. They fly great and I shot 2 doe and a buck this year with recoveries of 60, 15, and 20 yards. Couldn't be more pleased with them.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2016, 07:23 AM

muzzy 100 grain 4 blade 1 inch dia cut...fly good penetration is unreal...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page