Bowtech limb splintered - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Bowtech limb splintered

So, my bow sling that I've used for years was the downfall of my 09 Bowtech Captain tonight. I had it on my back while gathering gear to get out of my ladder stand. The top cam slipped free and the bow swung on the part holding the bottom cam and the limb hit the ladder stand just right to splinter out the corner.

Can't find much on limb costs online, but what I could find was from bowtech customers who'd relimbed bows back in the 2010-2012 time frame. The limbs then were $250.

My local shop where I go for bows and to have work done is open at 11 tomorrow. Obviously hunting is out in the morning, although I have a borrowed crossbow for now. Not what I want to hunt with, but it's hunting.

Anyway, I'll find out more tomorrow, but this is a 7 yr old bow. I can't see putting more than $200 into it at most including labor...or am I missing something here?

I know new bows aren't cheap, but $200 into a 7yr old bow seems to be a reasonable limit....thoughts?

If it's too pricey to just relimb it, my thought is to replace it and watch online for limbs for a deal and then relimb it when I can find them at the right price and then have it as a spare.

And good grief does it stink looking at prices on new bows. The new Bowtech line does look pretty cool, though, I have to admit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 01:58 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bowtech limb splintered

It's crazy how expensive a quality bow can get. I'd try archerytalk for used bow parts.

Dont knock it till you've tried it
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 03:32 AM

Bummer!!!

I agree...I certainly wouldn't get carried away on buying new limbs for it...7 years isn't a dinosaur...but the value of it isn't real high...if you've looked at the used bow market...it's about impossible to get more than a couple hundred bucks for a bow more than a couple years old..

Your idea of a backup bow is a good one..

One of my main reasons for buying a new (to me) bow this year was so I have a 2nd bow...a real short time throwing a sight on it and I'm back in the game..I have a spare sight just haven't put it on and dialed it in...

The price of new bows is tough to swallow... especially knowing in a few years they are practically worthless..I mean..they still work..but if you ever wanted to sell it..just tough knowing that...unlike a rifle..buy a used rifle for $400. In 20 years it may be worth $800 lol. Rarely do guns loose value aside from buying a new one..

I'd be curious to know what you find out...just because I have a bowtech and love it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Well, I'm back from the shop.

Shop owner is a good guy...been going there since I was a kid, and they have always treated me well.

He said he'd have to talk to Bowtech to see if they can get the limbs, but to expect a minimum of $150 and more like $200. 2 weeks, give or take, to receive them, and he'd install them same-day they arrived.

I started shooting bows.

I fully expected to want a Bowtech BTX. First bow I shot. Loved it.

Shot a Matthews Halon 7. Hated it.

Shot a Hoyt Defiant. Uh oh. That was pretty nice.

Shot an Elite (forget which one). Also pretty nice.

Ok, let's do round 2....hauled them all outside again, one by one.

Bowtech-- shocky in the hand, louder than I'd hoped, holy FAST, Batman

Mathews-- quieter, moreso than I expected. Grip feels weird. I've never liked Mathews' grips. Just wasn't "right" to me.

Elite-- felt good, clunky draw cycle, fast, moderately quiet.

Hoyt-- smoooooooooooth draw cycle, by far the smoothest of the bunch. Didn't seem QUITE as fast as the Bowtech, but wasn't far off it. Not as loud, and near to dead in the hand.

I'm going hunting tonight with a Hoyt.

Shop moved my Ripcord dropway, HHA sight, and put on a loop, peep, and button for me. Tweaked most of that right there, and was shooting into arrow holes in the target at 20 steps at the shop.

Brought it home, regulated my slider sight to 50 yards, then stepped to 30 and had some crappy form. Took a small rest, since I was shooting a lot today, lol. Stepped to 30, settled in, good form, center-punched the 10-ring on my 3D deer target.

It does look from some quick bareshaft shooting like I'll likely have to move from my FMJ 340's to 300's. Bareshafts show a weak spine reaction, and I have the bow down to 62(60-70# bow).

I do think I'm gonna cruise the classifieds at AT and other places watching for limbs for my Bowtech. It's a great bow, and having two isn't such a dumb idea, as I've recently learned, lol.

Now to see if I can kill something....
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 09:36 PM

Well...sounds like it all worked out!

What model defiant did you get??

I agree...I can't get over the Mathew's grip...it was even worse before..

I haven't shot any of the latest models..but I'm like you...Hoyts and bowtechs just feel right for me..

I like a bigger bow...but like to shoot a heavier arrow...got lucky finding my Insanity CPXL..for me it's a happy blend between speed and stability...and it's quiet...500 or so grain finished arrow @ 270 something...not shabby for dinosaur arms lol.

Always looking for my next one....to buy a year or 2 old of course lol...

Good luck with the new bow!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 11:13 PM

As I was reading the post about you shooting bows while at the shop, I knew it was going to end with you coming home with one. Congrats!

Side note though, are you the original owner of the Bowtech? Their customer service and warranty are good. As long as everything fits (and you don't say what actually happened) they'll either replace the limbs, or replace the bow with one of an equal value if they no longer make the limbs. Had a friend a few years back that had a limb issue with his Bowtech (forget the model). Dealer sent it back to Bowtech and they sent him a new Bowtech RPM360 free of charge. That was the first year that was their flagship bow.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

It was my fault. Bow banged on my ladder stand when it slipped from my bow sling. It wouldn't be a warranty issue, unfortunately.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06
Well...sounds like it all worked out!

What model defiant did you get??

I agree...I can't get over the Mathew's grip...it was even worse before..

I haven't shot any of the latest models..but I'm like you...Hoyts and bowtechs just feel right for me..

I like a bigger bow...but like to shoot a heavier arrow...got lucky finding my Insanity CPXL..for me it's a happy blend between speed and stability...and it's quiet...500 or so grain finished arrow @ 270 something...not shabby for dinosaur arms lol.

Always looking for my next one....to buy a year or 2 old of course lol...

Good luck with the new bow!!!
Thanks!

I got the Defiant 30. NOT the Carbon Defiant. I just couldn't do that. That's a LOT of money for about 6-7 ounces in saved weight. I'm sure it's more dead in the hand, but I didn't even try one. I wasn't going to pay that much.

I added an 8" B-Stinger on it, too, to replace my old Limbsaver dampener. Kept my old Ripcord and my HHA 5519. Both are in great shape and going strong. I might look at releases after the season, but for now, I'm all set.

I also will probably need to bump my shafts to 300's from the 340's I'm shooting now. It's FAST compared to my Bowtech Captain. Wow. All of them were, really. The Bowtech and Mathews seemed the fastest of the bunch.

What I really disliked with the BTX from Bowtech was not only the hand shock, but it REALLY wanted to run away on you at full draw unless there was a fair amount of pressure kept into the back wall.

Just on speed and quiet, the Mathews Halon won, but it felt like a 2x4 in my hand. And the really vertical grip angle doesn't help. The bow in question was maybe 3/4" too short for me, but still.....it wasn't what I wanted.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 12:59 PM

I will have to shoot one!

That snappy jumpy feeling is horrible..don't know how anyone shoots bows like that..

The defiant 30 in interesting to me..30" bow but still has a 7" brace..I might like it a little better than the short bows I've shot...

I'm keeping the Insanity CPXL a while..for me, it has all the qualities I like..
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
tdd
Super Moderator

The neat thing with the Defiant is that the cams make it have a string angle similar to a bow with a 34" ATA. Feels very similar to my Captain in that regard.

If you shoot one, I'm curious what you think of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page