Big Nasty broadheads - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Big Nasty broadheads

I am switching to fixed blade broadheads this year after losing a gorgeous buck due to a mechanical head failure. I really like the concept of the big nasty from nap, unfortunately there isn't much information about them online. I am hoping someone here can help with real world experience with the heads, I would like to hear about anything involving the heads. The big question is how well do they fly compared to field tips and how hard is it to tune the bow for perfect flight? Years ago I bought a Mathews Zmax and the muzzys I used were horribly inaccurate, which is pretty much why I started using mechanical heads. Any information would be great, positive or negative. Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:09 PM

Re: Big Nasty broadheads

No experience with broadheads other than Thunderheads which I have used for over 35 years with success. Taking both whitetail and black bear. I commonly experience compete pass thorough on broad side shots and short tracking jobs. I find then very easy to group.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:20 PM
The Man

You're not likely to get any fixed blade head to fly like field points unless your bow is properly tuned. I recommend slick tricks, or the QAD Exodus heads once you're properly tuned. What was the failure of the mechanical head last year?

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use QAD Exodus... love it. but, it's like any broadhead out there. you have to hit vitals.

I lost a 2 does 2 seasons ago, both were poor shots on my part. new bow, hadn't spent the time practicing with the new bow and new sights, jacked both shots up. one doe was guy shot, never found her. likely would have been the same outcome with any other broadhead. 2nd doe i hit low leg, only hit bone got no penetration. that deer made it through the season. saw pictures of her later in the season.

Neither was fault of broadhead. just poor shots on my part.

Thing i like with QAD exodus. they're built like a rock. i've killed multiple deer with the same broadhead. they maintain their edge extremely well.

Once tune to my bow, they fly like a bullet.

blood trails.. only deer i haven't been able to track via blood trail were the 2 i jacked up the shots. Most deer I've shot with them died within eye sight, if not closer!

So i've had really great success with QAD exodus. find one that works for you and stick with it.

"I've never seen a wild thing feel sorry for itself..."
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

Slick tricks...they do the job every time
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i would look at either slick tricks or the exodus. both are awesome heads and will fly awesome out of any tuned bow
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

also it looks like the big nasty might just be made for the easton deep 6 arrows
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 02:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Your luck with fixed broadhead flight will <span style="text-decoration: underline">directly</span> depend on your understanding of bow tuning.

I've shot Muzzy BHs for 30+ years as well as both my son's since they've been hunting out of nearly a dozen different rigs, and I'm of the opinion that Muzzy BHs are one of the easiest to tune.

I've very often had field point accuracy just from a paper tune.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:04 PM

Slick Trick's get the job done....shot a buck last year front quartering me. Broke shoulder, bounced off inside of rib cage and came out opposite hind quarter.... Totally blew my mind..

Concept Archery Shooter.....99% Letoff
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 05:32 PM

Like was said you get a fixed blade to fly right till your arrows are properly spined and bow is properly tuned...not hard...just takes a little knowledge"beyond the basics"

Shooting a bow not properly tuned...even with mechanical heads is putting a bandaid on a gun shot wound asking for trouble...you might not see it but your arrow even with field points or mechanical heads doesn't fly straight..that eats up precious energy..your arrow impacts aren't straight and then it really eats up energy...it's just asking for trouble...

Stick a knife in something perfectly straight and it goes in smoothly....stick it in at even a slight angle and it doesn't wanna go in near as easily..

For a fixed head I really like slick trick mags. But gotta learn to tune your bow and arrow spine has to be right...and often times even from a shop it's not...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page