Treestand Wingman - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Treestand Wingman

Has/Does any use a safety system for a tree stand called "Treestand Wingman" made by Black Ash Outdoor Products? I just purchased one at the Outdoor Show in Pittsburgh. A guy was demonstrating how to use it at the show. He was able to repeatedly control, stop and lower himself from a stand they had set up at the show. I haven't tried it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2016, 05:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Treestand Wingman

I googled it. Pretty neat product. I realize that suspension trauma is a problem of the 4 point harnesses. This looks like a suitable solution.

From another standpoint, it could be used for a rapid controlled decent if needed. There are times when I've spotted trespassers and I knew that by the time I got down with my climber, they would be two properties over. Just a random thought!.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 10:43 AM
Regular Visitor

I bought one after reading this post and going to their website. I've often thought that there's a gap in tree stand safety and that was dealing with the next step after finding yourself hanging from your safety harness. Almost all the guys I know are good about wearing a harness from the ground up when hunting but that's the end of their safety plan. None of us has ever practiced hanging from our harness at a low level to see what it feels like or determine what the next step is. I've often thought of devising a system for descending but it never went beyond some simple ideas. I considered the product that used a mechanism like the seat belt mechanism that was on the market years ago but when I saw it in the store it was big, heavy, and expensive. I did buy the livewire for my son and me but haven't used it and because it's not reusable couldn't try it or practice with it. I watched the videos on the wingman and bought one. There's not much info on the web about it. I'm pleased with the quality and size of it and plan to try it out this weekend. I have high hopes for it. I will post after I try it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:11 AM
The Man

That is pretty slick and best part is it's reusable. I'm definitely ordering one of these.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:34 AM

Thanks for this. My next purchase!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 02:23 PM
Regular Visitor

It's been a busy weekend but I did manage to put 4 climbing sticks up and make a couple drops from the Wingman. I want to play with it more but I can say right now that if I ever end up suspended from my safety harness that I will end up safely on the ground if I am clipped in to the Wingman.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 12:21 AM
Part of the Community

all readers should get this or a live wire but this is the answer to a safe decent i hve a live wire wont hunt without it and will be moving to the wingman as well this is a no brainer men
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

This device is a MUST HAVE item for ANYONE using portable treestands. I could tell you all some stories of folks that have experienced life changing injuries from hanging, and hunting using portable treestands.
To those who would say this device is expensive--take a look at long term medical care costs, wheel chairs, loss of wages, the impact on those who depend on you, and your pay check. You will soon realize that this device isn't so expensive after all.
It's a device that absolutely needs to be on every portable treestand hunters list of must have gear items.
I am in NO way affiliated with the company. When I saw this device I simply said to myself--it could save, and prevent a person from being the next statistic, and news headline.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-18-2016, 11:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

I will chime in again--I ordered one of these as soon as I read up on them. My wife, and daughter are both nurses, and have taken care of patients who didn't die, but suffered life changing accidents falling from treestands--both while trying to hang them, climbing treestand accidents, and falling either transferring from a ladder onto the stand, or just plain falling out of the stand from things like falling asleep. I still encounter people who tell me things like:
--A safety harness is a pain to deal with
--It may interfer with shooting
--A harness makes me feel constricted
--A good harness is expensive
--The harness that came with my stand is always tangled, and hard to figure out, and get put on
And the list could go on, and on. I beg of all who may read this post to PLEASE wear a harness.
I know--I know--I may be speaking to the choir as they say. Also I have heard many say--"who the heck do you think you are telling me how to hunt?"
I have personally seen the results of accidents that didn't kill the person, but left them so badly injured it took several years of healing. They never went back to work, and were permanently unable to work, had to modify their homes for wheel chair use, and required VERY expensive home care. ALL things they were totally unprepared for. Don't become another statistic who may live to have regrets, severe life long pain, and disabilities creating huge amounts of burden on family, and friends. I know--every year we read, and guys like me are always harping on others abut treestand safety. I do this because just last year I encountered TWICE guys in portable stands--way off the beaten path, no harness, and one guy had NO WAY to contact anyone--he had no cell phone.
Please be safe.
http://healthbeat.spectrumhealth.org...nd-statistics/

You may think that folks have wised up, and absolutely no one would hunt without a safety fall restraint. You would be VERY surprised at the amount of folks who still push their luck.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2016, 03:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have the Spider Wire… it's a lot more compact. Either one are great products.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page