Do you ever get frustrated trying to help? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Do you ever get frustrated trying to help?

This is by no means a mechanical broadhead bash thread because I used rage original 2 blades and hypos with 100% success. I was just involved in a facebook thread about mechanical versus fixed blade.

It is incredible to me the number of people who actually think a bow sighted in with field points and a mechanical head that shoots in the same spot is considered to be "TUNED."

They literally cannot be reasoned with. The #1 and #2 replies are: i have 10 dead deer to show how my bow is tuned properly or my arrow doesn't plane like it does with fixed blades.

For example the last time I shot mechanical heads they were spot on with my field points but so were my 100 grain slick tricks, 100 grain thunderheads and 100 grain ramcats.

The reply I received was: enjoy your fixed blades.

I can understand these folks staying with what has worked but the whole issue was that killing deer doesn't mean your bow is properly tuned. there is just so much more to a properly tuned bow. i have watched field pointed arrows leave the bow very poorly and hit their mark due to moving sights and mechanical heads perform the same. people refuse to understand everything they are leaving on the table.

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Do you ever get frustrated trying to help?

Unless they are asking for help.....why would you care how someone else's bow is tuned or not ??
If they don't want or think they need help, move on. Why get frustrated over it ????????

Remington 700
mission mxb320
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:20 PM

Be it hunting advice, construction practices or where's the best place to get a cold beer I offer the best correct information I have from years of doing it or first hand knowledge. If they can benefit from what I tell them fine, if not then they can learn the hard way, like most of us.
Its nothing personal and not worth getting upset or thinking about.
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 PM

I agree, I would consider it to be sighted in and if fixed blades were used it would still be hitting the same IMO.
I`ve shot both and have had success with both. At 20-35 yds I don`t think it matters what head you shoot, it you hit that sweet spot.
You shoot the broadhead that you feel you have the most confidence in. There are so many to choose from, it all comes down to making that one shot count when the time comes....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

im not really upset but people were asking why? i answered them that there bow really isn't tuned properly or as well as it could be and then all these mechanical shooters started at me about how the whole purpose of them is that they require zero tuning and this and that. i remained civil and was trying to explain to them that a mechanical hitting where a field point does, doesn't equate to a tuned bow. they all proceeded to tell me i was wrong. i was just trying to help. once i realize i was talking to the wall i moved along. just amazed by the stubbornness to refuse learning something.

You want me to put my ear to the ground? Listen for hoof beats? Look for broken twigs?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 12:15 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

After a quick stint in retail, I realized there are 4 types of shooters: 1) "the Pie Platers". As long it can hit a pie plate at 40 yards, their bow, equipment, and their ability is tuned for the season, even when they just got it out the week before. 2)the "Low Ball Wanna-Be's". They want the best results with some of the worst combinations of equipment and techniques 3) the "Point Buyers" These are guys that will spend any amount of money to get the "best latest and greatest" because they saw someone else using it. Forget the fact that some people can just shoot better than them or anyone else in the business. 4) the "Swappers"- these are the guys that will change out equipment without learning how the prior equipment performs. They are especially fond of swapping out releases, arrows, tips, weight, stabilizers, rests and sights. They can easily be grouped in with the Point Buyers for the amount of money they spend.

Most have one thing in common. They do not know the intricate balance between a properly tuned bow and properly suited equipment. They have yet to evolve into "archers".

As others have said, you will learn when to just smile and walk away, or in this case, not click on the "reply to this thread" link.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

you are right guru. i know when to smile and walk away but really thought i could help someone. maybe i did help someone that didn't respond. not one person though was even willing to consider what i was saying. all i had left at the end was a "wow!" hahaha

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskyman62
you are right guru. i know when to smile and walk away but really thought i could help someone. maybe i did help someone that didn't respond. not one person though was even willing to consider what i was saying. all i had left at the end was a "wow!" hahaha
Your head and heart were in the right place. Like the ole saying goes..."you can control what comes out of YOU ....but....you can't control what comes back".
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 04:06 PM

Helping people can be a double edge sword. Some will listen & learn something. Some will just do what they have been doing. I don't get upset, if people ask I offer advise. what they do with it is up to them.

Befor archery opened, my daughter & I were shooting at the practice range & some one was sighting in their crossbow. We ask if we could check our broadhead arrows as we can only use certain targets for that. He said ok , but your fixed blade arrow won't group like the groups you were getting with FP's. I asked why not. He said fixed blades won't fly like FP's. I said really. he watched us shoot & couldn't believe they hit dots out to 40 yards. I told him if your bow is tuned it will. We had a long discussion on tuning. What he does with it is up to him.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 01:20 PM

The tuning process can be a real pain in the butt and I think alot of people just give up after a while and turn to crossbows thinking that will eliminate their problems? You should still strive to find the combo of bolt and head design that works best. I have hunted with people that couldn't hit a 10 ring with their compounds if their life depended on it and missed or wounded several deer every year. After switching to crossbows they have been able to lessen the errors which makes the rest of us happy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page