Headlamps - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Headlamps

What's everyone using? I've been using small green caplights for years now but they are virtually worthless for following blood in the dark.

Looking for something that has adjustable intensity. I like the idea of toning it down for navigating in the morning and then increasing the brightness for bloodtrailing.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 11:42 AM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Headlamps

I have one made by Rayovac,it has an elastic band that fits comfortably around any kind of hat.It has a strong led main beam for seeing in the dark,also has 2 red LEDs and 2 blue LEDs which are supposedly good for blood trailing in the dark,although I never tried it for blood trailing.Its the best headlamp I've found so far.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 01:51 PM
New Arrival

I have had a few different ones over the years and have settled on one specific model in the last few years. I like the Princeton Tec Fuel. It is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket and is not heavy on your head. You can tilt the light. It has 4 LEDs, uses 3 AAA batteries which last for a very long time. It has a smart switch, which I think is one of the very best features. Has high, med, low and flash with a quick shutoff, so you do not need to cycle through the modes. I use one several times a week year round and have about 4 or 5 now. It is USA made (New Jersey) and they have a life time warranty. I have had to replace the battery door cover on a few of them. I call the manufacturer, they take my info and send me the parts, including a spare. Best part is the cost, which is maximum $20 - $25. I have bought most on sale at Dicks, Cabelas, ebay and other places for $15 - $20. I have used cheaper (Coleman, Energizer, off brands) and some more expensive ones, but I don't like to spend big $ on something we might break, lose or misplace. This is not a powerful spotlight type head lamp, but is good for walking in the woods, setting decoys, working under the sink, whatever. I have recommended this model to so many people and have never heard any gripes.

Best of luck with whatever you choose

http://www.princetontec.com/fuel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 01:05 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeRalph
I have had a few different ones over the years and have settled on one specific model in the last few years. I like the Princeton Tec Fuel. It is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket and is not heavy on your head. You can tilt the light. It has 4 LEDs, uses 3 AAA batteries which last for a very long time. It has a smart switch, which I think is one of the very best features. Has high, med, low and flash with a quick shutoff, so you do not need to cycle through the modes. I use one several times a week year round and have about 4 or 5 now. It is USA made (New Jersey) and they have a life time warranty. I have had to replace the battery door cover on a few of them. I call the manufacturer, they take my info and send me the parts, including a spare. Best part is the cost, which is maximum $20 - $25. I have bought most on sale at Dicks, Cabelas, ebay and other places for $15 - $20. I have used cheaper (Coleman, Energizer, off brands) and some more expensive ones, but I don't like to spend big $ on something we might break, lose or misplace. This is not a powerful spotlight type head lamp, but is good for walking in the woods, setting decoys, working under the sink, whatever. I have recommended this model to so many people and have never heard any gripes.

Best of luck with whatever you choose

http://www.princetontec.com/fuel
x2

USAF 1984-88

Families that hunt together stay together!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

As luck would have it, the Fuel is on sale now at Dick's and Field & Stream for $9.99. Can't go wrong at that price!

Thanks for the replies.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2015, 03:38 PM

Streamlight, many versions and an awesome company.

UBP Life Member
Chasing in Special Reg's Areas
Sunday Hunting Supporter.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2015, 03:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My Princeton Tec switch broke recently so I've been doing some research on a new headlamp. Zebralights look like real winners. That'll probably be my next headlamp. http://www.zebralight.com/Headlamp_c_7.html
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 08:12 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Petzl, $30 hae used it with no issues since 2008, get it online or REI
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Part of the Community

Have used the higher end Princetons etc but my go to lite is the no frills under $10 Cyclops CYC-MHC-W Micro Mini LED Hat Clip Light.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Part of the Community

I have a $30 streamlight headlamp its green forget the model but it comes with a greenlight a medium light and a spot light mode.Also accidentally sent it through the wash and dryer and it didnt even phase it. Well worth the money

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page