2016 Hoyt Powermax. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

2016 Hoyt Powermax.

I was thinking about buying my son a new Crossbow. He informed me he would rather have a compound bow. We were at Field and stream in Altoona pa today. He spied this bow and really liked it. The salesman had a lot of good to say about the bow. I was looking for something in the mid range. Not to cheap but nothing over $1000.00. Anyone have any experience with this bow. I realize this is supposedly the 2016 model and don't remember what he said it replaced. The price tag on the bow was $649.00. Excluding arrows and other excessories. I glanced at a pse but he said this Hoyt was the best for the money.. Any opinions or experiences with this bow?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 10:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 2016 Hoyt Powerhawk.

The 2016 Hoyt line was just released (hoyt.com). There is a "PowerMax" in the lineup, but no Powerhawk. The Prohawk was new in 2011. The PowerMax is replacing the Hoyt Charger. It is their base hunting bows, but not lower end in quality. I don't know what the prices are going for, but they it should be in the $599 range, based upon the video I saw on Lancaster Archery with the Hoyt Rep. I didn't know the 2016's were out yet! I didn't know Field and Stream was a Hoyt Dealer. Usually you can't get Hoyt's in the big box stores.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I looked at the picture of the tag. It is powermax. He said they just came out. The had a black one and a camo one. As to why they are selling them, I'm not sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:26 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You got lucky- most Hoyt dealerships are not big box stores. Apparently there is no other Hoyt dealer in the area to provide the service and F&S fit the bill. You can bet that the bow will shoot well, smooth and with more than sufficient speed. I also like the fact that the new Powermax cam is adjustable without modules or additional cams and strings and cables. It would be a wise investment given the fact that your son will grow, and the bow can grow with him. Poundage would be the only thing. If he can pull 50-60#, there is no need for a 70# bow on PA whitetails. Best of luck. Love my hoyt and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:33 PM

Actually, several of the original F&S locations got Hoyt dealerships.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittingguru
The 2016 Hoyt line was just released (hoyt.com). There is a "PowerMax" in the lineup, but no Powerhawk. The Prohawk was new in 2011. The PowerMax is replacing the Hoyt Charger. It is their base hunting bows, but not lower end in quality. I don't know what the prices are going for, but they it should be in the $599 range, based upon the video I saw on Lancaster Archery with the Hoyt Rep. I didn't know the 2016's were out yet! I didn't know Field and Stream was a Hoyt Dealer. Usually you can't get Hoyt's in the big box stores.
The only other hoyt dealer around is in bedford at clappers archery, small shop but a great guy to do with. Craig if you would rather buy at a smaller shop look me know i can get you in touch with Clapper.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:07 PM

I purchased a 2015 Hoyt Charger last April, after reading all the reviews on it. If the PowerMax is the same as or replacing the Charger. Then I would venture to say it is a smooth shooting bow and quiet you won't be disappointed if you decide to get one. It has all the power you need to put down a deer, I shot a 8pt buck and a doe this season with my Charger, they were both pass-throughs and they didn`t go far. Good Luck with what ever bow you pick...

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2015, 06:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would go to outdoor city in Altoona they are a hoyt dealer. They had some left over chargers there on Saturday and they have the powermax bare bow for 499. That I believe is what hoyt had the MSRP at on the bow. I shot one at Lancaster archery two weeks ago. Great shooting bow and their price was 499 bare bow and 649 with the accessory package (Fuse sight, QAD Hunter Rest, Fuse Quiver, Peep and Stabilizer). If F&S is selling bare bow for 649 they are way overpriced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page