3D target - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

3D target

I know that technically this is not gear, but I am looking to buy a new 3D buck target. I wanted to know what everyone uses, how long they have had it, if you shoot field tips or broad heads into it, and what weight you shoot at. I know that's a lot of info I'm asking for, I just can't afford a new one every year. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 04:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: 3D target

I had an El cheapo from cabelas. Lasted about 5 years. Dont leave it out all year long. Longer if I would have just bought another insert. 285 fps 460g arrow. Needed arrow lube to pull arrows but worked well for 60 bucks

Game Life Hunters
Cuttin&Gruntin

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 11:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

With 3D targets, you either pay up front, or replace more often and pay in the end. Personally, I buy used McKenzie targets from 3D ranges or clubs, clean them up, reseal them, core out the shot up area and repair it with the good foam from 3D Country target repair. A repaired target will last me about 4 years before it needs to be done again, but we shoot at them from January to November, sometimes 100 shots per week. The reason I get McKenzie targets is because we are in IBO country, and the IBO uses all Rhinehart targets, which means I can get McKenzies cheap from these clubs. I usually only pay around $100-$150 for a deer, fix it for around $50. When I'm done, I have a target that looks and shoots like a new $400 target for half the cost.

Here is a sample of one I did 5 years ago- we will be redoing this one this winter.

Before

After:

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 11:25 PM

I've had a Glen Dell for 10+ years, still holding up to no pass through...by the body is starting to get a little rough (I only have it out about 3-4 months/yr and store over winter. Def got my value from it but will probably replace in next 1-2 years

I live to hunt....and hunt to live!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 01:15 AM
Regular Visitor

That's a fine job. I never considered just painting them Haha.

2014-2015 season
5 Red Fox
12 Muskrat
20 Coon
2 Beaver
4 Possum

2016-2017season
13 Coon
2 Mink
3 Muskrat
6 Possum
1 Skunk
1 squirrel
1 rabbit
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-29-2016, 03:36 PM
New Arrival

I have the Glendel with the replaceable insert. It cost me 120$ on sale. I had it now for three months and I've had to flip the insert because of pass thrus. I shoot a lot with my son, about 120 plus arrows a week. I shoot 60 lbs. I used a few braodheads on it. Mine didn't come with a stand so you either make one or throw another $30 to it. I am happy with it so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page