throw away the drop away? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
The Man

throw away the drop away?

so both my boys are shooting 2014 hoyt chargers. they shoot right at 300fps. we are wondering about the drop aways getting out of the way.
i know 100 % that the nap rest was not getting out of the way as it wore the felt right off the prong. he switched to a qad ultra rest and i am not sure that is getting out of the road in time either.
we took a slow motion video then slowed that down even more with a computer program and it looks really close.
the other boy has had his qad ultra rest not go down a few times but it never tried. no mistaking that (loud and arrow loops down range) we adjusted his cord as it was loose at full draw. and so far that one seems ok but that is the expensive ultra rest and the other is the "hunter".
has anyone else had trouble or inconsistent results with these rests?
my thinking is i would sacrifice the 2 fps and go to a whisker biscuit for piece of mind but i will leave that up to them.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: throw away the drop away?

Some people swear by the drop away.
Have a friend of mine who is good friends with the owner of an Archery shop.
The owner said everyone in the shooting leagues improved their scores after switching to a Drop Away.
I shoot well with the Biscuit and any more of a tighter group is not going to help me in the field.
Something mechanical is one more thing ya have to worry about failing.
Just my 2 cents.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:52 PM

My belief for a hunting bow is that simpler is betterer!

Alrighty then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:43 AM
Frequent Contributor

I had the AAE DOA rest installed on my bow in July. I'm shooting @ 318fps and have not had any issues. The shop served the cord in rather than using the clamps. I think the big key is having a reputable shop set up a drop away for you so there isn't any issues and everything is perfect. With the drop away I am shooting tighter groups than I did with the WB. I am also very confident in the rest after putting a thousand or so arrows through it without a hitch.

Previously JJ5C
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 03:53 AM

I recently had a problem with my HDX. ervery two or three shots it would malfunction and not drop properly. QAD warrantied it and the shop put a new one on for me. 200-300 shots later, its working great.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I still shoot the original Ripcord that I bought 10-12 years ago. It's been on three different bows and has been flawless for me.
I added a soft piece of rubber to the riser where the launcher arm hits to eliminate the "click" it made when it fell, but other than that I think that rest is perfect.

Tell those stud boys of yours to shoot a heavier arrow. It will slow things down, make everything more quiet, penetrate better, and be more forgiving to shot form overall.
I went to a 11.3 gpi Full Metal Jacket this year which added about 50 grains to my setup. The penetration difference is substantial.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ5C
I had the AAE DOA rest installed on my bow in July. I'm shooting @ 318fps and have not had any issues. The shop served the cord in rather than using the clamps. I think the big key is having a reputable shop set up a drop away for you so there isn't any issues and everything is perfect. With the drop away I am shooting tighter groups than I did with the WB. I am also very confident in the rest after putting a thousand or so arrows through it without a hitch.
the younger boys bow had a few hundred shots through his before it failed to drop and needed the cord adjusted and it had been served in so i have it jery rigged for now until he gets a clamp. i think maybe after awhile the cords stretch.

Now your diggin' where the 'tators are!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One of the reasons I still shoot the good old NAP prong rest. Never fails.
My son had the QAD Hunter. POS! Now he's back to the prong rest and shooting the eyes out of everything.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 06:34 PM

If a QAD (or any drop away really) is not getting out of the way in time, the rest is not timed correctly. I had a QAD HDX on an RPM 360, which is much faster than the Charger, and it worked flawlessly. I will admit the QAD hunter is kind of junky, there is a reason it is so cheap. But I put QAD HDX rests on every bow I own and really like them.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 01:01 AM
Banned

I would agree that there is something wrong with the timing/installation. I have the HDX on a '14 Prime Alloy which shoots mid to low three's and have had zero problems. The cord has to be right where it needs to be or it's not gonna work right. I would take it to a shop that knows what they are doing.

Kecks in Newville is one of the best around IMO.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page