climber or hang on? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

climber or hang on?

I currently have a gorilla hang on stand which I had for several years, with a 20' section of climbing sticks. back in my younger days my friends and I were daredevils and werent scared of anything. We used to climb up our sticks and screw in steps above that yet. Now Iam not so comfortable even going up the climbing stick! Maybe because I never wore a harness, and hearing true stories of people getting hurt or killed in stands. What tree stand do you use and why? I never used a climber so I have no expeirence with that type. I love hunting from a tree especially in archery. what do you guys prefer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: climber or hang on?

I just purchased the Summit Viper SD over the summer. I have climbed with it over 50 times so far practicing for the big day. So far I like it. It's sturdy and I feel VERY safe as it encompasses you in the tree. I did upgrade the seat to a Hazmore Silent Seat which I suggest everyone who has a climber do.

Previously JJ5C
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:48 PM
The Man

I have three hang ons with climbing sticks set in very good spots, but I keep the climber in the truck for those off winds or if I just feel like looking at some different scenery. The climber comes in handy after the leaves fall off the trees too, because I can get a lot higher if I need to. Make no mistake about it, though, I prefer the hang ons because getting in and out is quieter and easier on my old bones!

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 11:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use both- hang ons for morning hunts- with a lifeline for safety, and the climber for afternoon and all day hunts, with a good harness for climbing.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 02:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Depends where and how you hunt, You could get several hang on set-ups for price of good climber. Where I hunt the hang ons are the way to go. Life lines and vest are the only thing that works with all the stand locations though.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 09:08 AM

Hang on stands are great if you can trust letting them set up, which unfortunately isn't the case for most of us. I use them extensively on out of state hunts but very seldom here around home. I have a pair of Lone Wolf climbers that I use for most of our archery seasons.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the replies fellows, I love the hang on stands and I only leave them out for archery season only, after that it comes down, For extra protection I use a wrachet strap and fasten that to the stand as well, Iam not to keen on just the pull strap that came with mine. Yes getting to your spot and going in the tree is nice instead of climbing and making noise, but climbers do have there advantage. I did look @ the summit viper sd that is a nice stand. I like this lone wolf stand, and how you can attach your climbing sticks to it as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbsoYKtWmUo
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 12:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm moving to the Milennium this year. Put the hanging brackets up and then you can have multiple sets with just one stand.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 08:54 PM

You do not have to make noise while using a good climbing stand and you don't not have to feel unsafe. Buy a good stand use the proper safety equipment correctly.

Long before the season go to a good practice tree run through the routine of being quite and climbing safely/properly. You do not have to go high until you are totally comfortable. Take a friend who is experienced in climbing if possible, if not take some one who is capable of helping you should you need help.

After you have the procedure down pat...practice it a few times in the dark. It should be second nature before the first day and you will be a pro by seasons end.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 06:52 PM

I use both a climber and hang-on/sticks. My climber is a Lone Wolf handclimber and my hang-on/sticks are also Lone Wolf; Assault and 4 Lone Wolf sticks. I use both depending on the trees in the spot I want to hunt. I "hang and hunt" with the hang-on and take it out each night since i mostly hunt public land. It's not bad once you get a system down. I always wear a harness and use both my tree strap and linemans belt when hanging the sticks and stand. I also slide the tree strap up the tree when using my climber. My safety is worth the few extra seconds it takes.

-Bowhunter

Coop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page