New bow - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

New bow

Ok so the wife gave me the ok to buy a new bow as mine is over ten years old I have gone out and shot a couple but really like the feel of the Matthews no cam htr. but reveiws I have been reading say the bow is slow and won't make a good hunting bow that it's mainly for target shooting just wondering other people's thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 11:46 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: New bow

Step 1: Look at my user name
Step 2: Try one

My personal Darton is the DS-600 which is one of their lower-end ones (I got it for around $500) but it is still smoother than all of the other ones at the shop (aside from the ridiculously price ones, of course). If you have the money, you could even go for one of their higher-line models.

Their customer service is outstanding. Over the summer, I managed to crack a riser and they took it back and fixed it with zero charge to me! Now that's customer service.

The Matthews has an IBO of 330fps. That's one of the fastest bows made so I don't know who told you it was too slow.

But seriously, if your store has them, try out the Dartons and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 12:46 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

xtreme- I just got a new bow this past archery season due to the bottom limb on my old one cracking. I had a Bowtech Destroyer for years and absolutely loved it. It was top of the line when i bought it and it served its purpose well. When it shattered and BT customer service didn't have any limbs left for it, I got their new top of the line bow, the RPM 360... Hated it. Just was not the same. I currently have a Hoyt Faktor Turbo and love shooting it. It hits where I want it to and I have been shooting my best 3D scores yet.

I also heard the no cam wasn't shooting up to snuff. 330 is fast but not nearly "one of the fastest bows made" as Darton said.

I really am liking this Hoyt, but I certainly wouldn't be scared to pick a new Bowtech either

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 11:42 AM

I actually like the RPM 360 a lot. But I am shooting less weight than MaddiesDad. To me it is smoother and quieter than the Bowtech Experience I had before it.

On topic I have read a lot of good things about the HTR No Cam on archerytalk. Guys seem to love it for a hunting bow. Their only complaint is speed, but really it will still be much fatser than your 10 year old bow. I would worry more about how you liked shooting it, not what speed numbers or reviews say. Let the bow pick you, don't let some strangers on the internet do it for you .

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 01:56 PM

Speed doesn't kill anything! Buy what you shoot the best! My 1st new bow was a cast riser Bear that shot 209 fps and killed deer just fine. Longbows shoot less and kill plenty of deer.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the advice the bow is really nice and smooth to shoot and draw i just don't know enough about bows cause I buy them and hunt with them And shoot it about a dozen arrows a week just for fun I guess the only reason I wondered cause seems like all the other bows out there are way faster which had me wondering that's all
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'll repeat myself one more time--unless you have a press and an vice and the knowledge or desire to gain the knowledge to work on your own stuff, buy what you shoot best and can get serviced. I shoot Hoyt because I shoot them better than any other. I work on my own equipment. I tune my own bows, make my arrows from components. Hoyt may not be the one for you, and even if it was, is there a dealer that can service one for you within 30-45 minutes? Buy the Mathews if you can shoot it well and can get it serviced.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Part of the Community

I bought a new Bear Arena 34 last month. Bow has a smooth draw cycle and pretty darn quiet. It is a no press bow (unless you are changing strings of course) u can change the draw length and weight and string stops all with out a press. I to was coming from a bow over 10 years old (Jennings G2Xl) so I was read for an upgrade myself. I love this bow and couldn't be more happy with my purchase. go to a pro shop and shoot as many bows as u can, And don't over look the Bear line up as they have came a long way over the past few years. Good luck in your purchase and let us know what you decide on.

2015 Bear Arena 34
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thank you looks like I've made my decision I'm going with the no cam
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:26 PM
Banned

You should try PERIODS<span style="font-size: 23pt">.</span> LOL!

Don't rule out the Prime's. I have the 2014 Alloy and it is quite nice. They treat their customers well, new strings every other year. Mines buttery smooth, pretty quick, forgiving and silent. Definitely a quality bow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page