HHA Blank Tapes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

HHA Blank Tapes

So I have my new HHA Optimizer Lite installed on my bow. I'd like to get the tapes on it as soon as the snow shows signs of melting. I'd like to use the blank tapes that you mark on your own. I don't have my bow handy right now, but the way I'm visualizing it, I should mark 20 yards as high on the tape as I can to maximize the lower part of the sight for long range potential. Any tips or help would be appreciated.

(This is only my second year in bowhunting and boy is it fun!).

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 08:18 PM

Re: HHA Blank Tapes

Its reverse darton. Your 20 yard mark will be low and yardages go up the tape. I shoot a bowtech invasion and I use the first mark for 20-30 yards as point of aim and impact were about the same. I then went up in 5 yard increments to 60 yards. I limit my self to 40-50 max on a shot standing perfectly broadside but like to shoot further in practice to make those 40 yard opportunities as easy as 20 yards.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thank you!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

I probably could of figured that out after a few shots but I'd like to go in prepared haha.

-Jeff Cooper
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Darton- If your 20 mark is not as far down the indicator as you would like, you can take out the two screws that hold the scope head to the site and move the scope down one or two holes, then reinsert the screws- however, make sure that when you are getting ready to shoot your furthest distance, the arrow is still under the scope head and the fletchings don't hit the bottom of the scope.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 10:13 PM

Darton you may end up not liking the light. I put one on as well and found that the light was more of a pain than an advantage. Even at dusk the light captured by the sight was enough to see cleanly. The light made the pin too bright which made a halo like effect. Try it in lower light before you try to make a shot on an animal
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Darton, I recommend getting the hha slotted infinite adjust bracket for about ten bucks. With this bracket once you know the number of the tape for your bow you can set your tape anywhere.Then set your indicator to 20 yards then move your scope with the infinite bracket and you will be good to go. You should get at least 80 yards or more and still have good clearance for your scope.

The older I get the better I was.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 09:09 AM

And to add to what has already been said, make sure you have the dial set for 20 as low as you can get it. If it isn't all the way down, as said above, move the site housing down on the mount and/or mount to the riser using the lower set of holes on the mount itself. I learned the hard way my first time lol. Got it all dialed in at 20 and 40 only to discover I needed to move everything down because I was maxed out at like 55 yds, not that I need that for hunting anyway, but some of the target shots we take on various courses are 60+.

I've had my HHA on for about 2 months now and so far I like it. It's awesome for indoor, 3D, etc. Not sure if I'll keep it on for hunting but time will tell.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks, everyone! I can't wait to get it on and actually be able to hold the pin on the bull past 35 yards!

-Jeff Cooper
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-03-2015, 10:49 AM

Have one on my Diamond stud and for the most part like it. Had a situation once while hunting. Set up in a nice tree with a heavy traveled trail 15 yds in front of me. Set my HHA on 20.
5 deer came across the creek and headed my direction. I stood up and as they approached came to full draw. They took a turn and headed out the lesser traveled trail. Being somewhat prepared I had picked out a few open shooting lanes along that trail also. Problem was, with the speed they were moving I had no time to let down and adjust the sight.
Point being, just because you have an adjustable sight don't count on being able to use it. Practice shooting using hold over as well as sight adjustment. Because I had practiced this way I was able to hold over and make a perfect 40 yd shot and harvest a nice doe that hunt.
Good luck and hope you enjoy your new sight.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
If it's locked up and put away - Your NOT safe!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page