Toolless Sights - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
LIN
Regular Visitor

Toolless Sights

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'm looking for any experience with tuning the newer "toolless" (hand adjusted windage and elevation)sights. I recently returned to archery, and bought a Diamond Core package. I added a 5 pin, toolless tru glo sight, and have had a great time shooting and hunting this season.

I had very little difficulty sighting in at 20 yrs, and am getting good groups out to 30, with these pins. My question:How do you guys go about fine tuning for distances of 40 yrs, and beyond? It seems that minor tweaks at 20 yrs can create major shifts further out. Is it possible to dial in with my 40 & 50 yd pins, without having to readjust them all?

Thanks for any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2015, 04:46 PM
The Man

Re: Toolless Sights

If you start with getting it in at 20Yds and then skip the 30 yd pin for now, and get it in at at least 40yds, but 50 yds would be better if you can. everything else should fall in to place.

The bow has to be tuned properly for this to work though. If not, you won't be able to get this type of sight to work the way it's supposed to.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 02:50 PM

Maybe I misunderstand, but I have to ask since you mentioned it is tool-less. Are you adjusting the whole sight each time? After you set it at 20 by adjusting the wind-age and elevation on the housing, you should be adjusting the individual pins as you move back, not the whole sight housing.

-Bowhunter

Coop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 03:03 PM
The Man

They have sights that adjust all of the pins together. In other words you have one fixed pin and the others move while turning one knob. here is a link that can explain it better than I can. I do have one and it works really well.

Bow Sight
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhunter
They have sights that adjust all of the pins together. In other words you have one fixed pin and the others move while turning one knob. here is a link that can explain it better than I can. I do have one and it works really well.

Bow Sight
that is a trophy ridge he has a truglo...do what squirrel said, when you want to fine tune adjust the pin instead of the whole housing
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkhunter

Bow Sight
Yes but that is not considered a tool-less sight as they are normally known. Most tool-less sights just means that have knobs or levers to adjust elevation and wind-age opposed to having to loosen allen screws.

So I guess we need clarification as to which type he has.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 08:33 PM
The Man

Maybe he doesn't have one of those but the link I sent is a tool-less sight and there is know way to adjust individual pins on those sights.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 09:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I looked up your site. It is tooless for what is referred to as "gang" adjustments in elevation and windage. Looks like you still need an allen wrench adjustment on each individual pin beyond that.

Here is what I would do. Get your 20 yd pin as close as you can. Gradually walk back 5 yds at a time, making sure you stay on the paper until you have your 40 yard pin on the paper. Now, using the allen wrench- get your 40 yard pin dead on in elevation. Use the gang tooless adjustment to get your 40 dead on left to right. Now go back and check your 20. You can think you are on at 20 left and right, but a 1" variation at 20yds is a 2-3" mistake at 40. From here you can get your 30 yd pin set. Repeat the same with your 50- get it on paper, get your elevation, then do microadjustments to get the windage. Recheck all other pins.

If you get the 40 or 50 dead on, and then your 20 is off- your rest needs adjustment.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
LIN
Regular Visitor

Squirrel and Hittingguru are both correct about the sight I'm using, and this makes much more sense, now that I think about it. Appreciate all the feedback, and will definitely put this to use when I start shooting again more regularly.

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page