30" ata bows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

30" ata bows

Who's shooting them and which kinds? What are your groups like at 40 and beyond? Whats the string angle like on the peep? What draw lenghts are you guys shooting on them?

Just a few questions i have. Ive been looking around the internet and cant find much information. Theyre pushing the 30" bows more and more these days and im just looking to see what all the buzz is about. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:41 PM

Re: 30" ata bows

A few years ago when the shorter ata bows started coming on the scene someone askede Todd Shultz these questions. Todd, his father, and daughter have won several world titles shooting 3-d and are avid hunters. His reply went something like this, if I'm shooting 20 yards at a deer's kill zone then a shorter bow is fine, if I'm shooting 45-50 + yards at a 12 ring I want something longer and more stable. I would think that for 90% of all hunting shots at reasonable distances a short ata bow is okay?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

I am shooting the Mathews Heli-M witha 30 inch draw and absolutely love this bow. Im a big guy and hunt out of my climber 100% of the time so its nice to have a smaller bow to maneuver around. At 40 yards on a good day I'm stacking/ruining arrows from shooting at the same dot. I can get 5-10 inch groups all the way out to 80 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsMan85
I am shooting the Mathews Heli-M witha 30 inch draw and absolutely love this bow. Im a big guy and hunt out of my climber 100% of the time so its nice to have a smaller bow to maneuver around. At 40 yards on a good day I'm stacking/ruining arrows from shooting at the same dot. I can get 5-10 inch groups all the way out to 80 yards.
30 inch draw and 30 inch ATA are two very different things my friend. Axle to Axle measurement is what is being referred to in the question.

I have a 29inch draw setup on my bow, and the ATA measurement is approximately 27 3/4 inches. Very good for treestand hunting, and I have only shot it so far out to 40 yards which is plenty far enough from a tree for me.

Bluedog

Back out West...home at last!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

I believe the mathews heli-m has a 30" ata though as well. I had bought a nib hoyt vector 32 a few days ago but my money was refunded due to the seller not realizing that the bow had the number 2 cams instead of the number 3. Im a 29" draw length. I came across a brand new hoyt faktor 30 with 29" draw and 60-70 lbs limbs at an amazing price and was wondering if this thing was worth checking out. All the reviews i have seen so far are pretty positive abou tthe bow. Just wanted to know if there were guys around my size, 5'10", 29" draw length who shot 30" ata bows and what theyre experiences were. Im currently shooting around a 33" ata bow now with a 6" brace height and can group arrows within 2-3 inches at 50 yards.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDog
Quote:
30 inch draw and 30 inch ATA are two very different things my friend. Axle to Axle measurement is what is being referred to in the question.

I have a 29inch draw setup on my bow, and the ATA measurement is approximately 27 3/4 inches. Very good for treestand hunting, and I have only shot it so far out to 40 yards which is plenty far enough from a tree for me.

Bluedog
The Heli-m is a 30" ATA
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackone
Quote:
Quote:

Bluedog
The Heli-m is a 30" ATA
do you agree there is a difference between ATA and draw length? If so please read the post again...if not...ok

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

So there is no confusion ATA means axle to axle and is the manufacturers measurement from the top cam axle to bottom the cam axle.

The older I get the better I was.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by attackone
Quote:
Quote:

Bluedog
The Heli-m is a 30" ATA
do you agree there is a difference between ATA and draw length? If so please read the post again...if not...ok
i dont understand that point your trying to make. Of course DL and ATA are two different things but a mathews helim has a Axle to Axle length of 30" making it a 30" ATA bow in which the OP was asking about. He also asked about string angle, with a short bow comes a harsher string angle and the longer your DL is the worse it will be. So when Mathewsman85 posted what he did he was answer the question correctly.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 08:30 PM

Ok buddy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page