New sight recommendations? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

New sight recommendations?

Finally bought a new bow. Ended up getting a new in the box 2012 hoyt vector 32. I wanted to get one of these like 2 years ago right when the spyder took over, but i guess its better late than never. Anyway, looking to build this thing from the ground up. Im thining about getting another trophy taker rest, fuse quiver and stabilizer. I dont know what kind of sight i should be looking at though. I have an apex bone collector 4 pin on my katera. I liked that sight because my 40 and 50 yard pins were .010 and really helped my accuracy at those distances, but i was thinking about checking out a 5 pin sight. Ill take any and all recommendations on 4 or 5 pins sights that you guys think are worthy of checking out. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 11:33 AM

Re: New sight recommendations?

I am currently using a Montana Black Gold Ascent, 3-pin slider. But my last 5 pin was a Sword Twilight hunter. Sword makes a nice sight that is not overly expensive

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Sent you a PM

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 07:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel
I am currently using a Montana Black Gold Ascent, 3-pin slider. But my last 5 pin was a Sword Twilight hunter. Sword makes a nice sight that is not overly expensive
Same here, but I'm only using 2 pins on my Ascent. The clean sight picture and the ability to shoot out to 100 yards is what sold me. I only shoot to 30 at deer so I leave my pins at 20 and 30 to hunt. If I'd shoot further at game I'd put my third pin in.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 07:33 PM

I have the Black Gold 5 pin Widow Maker. I really like it so far.

Uh Oh! Janie's got her gun!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a Black Gold Solaris that's been on the bow for five years. Love It! If i were ever to buy another sight, it would be one of the Black Golds. Well worth the money.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:29 PM

I recently had a pin break on a Trophy Ridge Hitman 3 pin. 1 call to Trophy Ridge and a new pin was on the way. I recently began shooting indoor and 3D and was interested in a new sight anyway. I bought a HHA Optimizer Lite with .019 pin size. It was relatively easy to dial in and frankly it has improved my accuracy. I'm even considering keeping it on the bow for hunting. Time will tell.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 04:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm not much on recommending specific sites, since the new price range is from $39.95 to $350.00! I recommend things to look for: 1) solid housing construction, either aluminum or carbon, not plastic. 2) micro adjust windage and gang elevation that you don't need an allen wrench. 3)pin size that matches your hunting style and distances, and even multiple pin sizes within the same sight 4) pin color- anything but red- red flares and will seem off set to those who wear glasses. 5) encased or enclosed pin fiber- where the fiber runs through the pin not behind it, exposing it to being broken by weeds when you walk to or from your stand. After that, I advise to spend a little more on the sight, it is the foundation of your aiming point and it can be moved from one bow to another.

The problem with most of today's archery products, they cost too much to just buy one and try it, and resell it if you don't like it. I figure if I'm going to spend upwards of $75+ on a sight, I am sure going to use it whether I like it or not for 1 season. It would be great if you could test drive one for say, 100 shots, then make a decision.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 02:20 PM
New Arrival

Bought the excel armor tech hd and have nothing to complain about. A little on the heavy side but built like a tank. Can also order from them directly and customize pin sizes and color.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

I think im going to look into that axcel armortech hd sight. Looks pretty well made. I like the looks of it and i really like the fact that i can customize it to how i like it. A friend of mine has one and he recommended it as well. Ill probably look at the black golds to. thanks guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page