4 finger style release - why? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

4 finger style release - why?

I currently use a TruFire Hardcore, wrist strap style release and love it. It seems that I see many archers, both hunters and professional shooters, using a 4 finger style release.

What are the major differences between strap style and 4 finger? Why do many seem to be choosing the 4 finger style now when a wrist style was way more popular 5 years ago?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 11:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 4 finger style release - why?

When you say "4 finger", you are pretty much lumping two distinctly different releases into one group. There are basically 3 types of releases:1) trigger releases, like those with a wrist strap and an index finger trigger, whether or not it's curved or straight doesn't matter; 2)Thumb trigger releases where the release may be held with 3 or 4 fingers, and the thumb is used to "trigger" a post or barrel causing the release to work; and 3) Hinge releases, where again, the release may be held by 2-3 or 4 fingers, and the release works through applying "back tension" with a slight rotation of the release and hence firing it.
Both the thumb trigger and the hinge release are held with the back of the hand against the face, usually the space between the index knuckle and the second finger knuckle are held against the corner of the jaw below the ear.

I think what you are seeing is the carry over from 3D and target archery techniques into hunting, and along with that, more 3D archers are being featured in hunting shows (Levi Morgan, for example). I use a 3 finger thumb trigger from January to September, through 12 weeks of indoor target shooting and 36 weeks of outdoor 3D. I figured, why use something different for 6 weeks of archery hunting. I use more of a conscious "triggering" of the release in hunting, and not waiting for back tension to get it to go off. I want the arrow released when I want it to, and sometimes that window is small.

Hope this cleared some things up.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-03-2015, 12:26 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I shoot indoors and 3d's with a three finger TruBall back tension hinge, but hunt with a TruBall Short-N-Sweet index finger trigger release. I think learning to shoot a hinge release will help you be a better shooter. I think once you master shooting a back tension hinge, you can switch to any release and shoot better.

The older I get the better I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

I shoot a three finger carter because I hate having a release strapped to my hand the whole time. I also shoot much better with a thumb release.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone
I shoot indoors and 3d's with a three finger TruBall back tension hinge, but hunt with a TruBall Short-N-Sweet index finger trigger release. I think learning to shoot a hinge release will help you be a better shooter. I think once you master shooting a back tension hinge, you can switch to any release and shoot better.
But why do you think that? Is it a mechanics thing?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

A back tension hinge release has no trigger. Some people compare shooting a release with a trigger either a thumb or index finger to jumping off a cliff its all or nothing. If done correctly a hinge back tension can reduce the mental struggle between holding, aiming and releasing the arrow. It relies on muscle memorization and allows you to focus on aiming, rather than releasing. You still have control over them and can hurry them when needed for hunting situations and more and more hunters are using them. I don't have one with a strap for hunting, but plan on buying a Scott Longhorn Hunter release soon and hunting with it.

The older I get the better I was.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Part of the Community

I wonder how many of us are left that just use our fingers to shoot. Lol
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassnleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone
But why do you think that? Is it a mechanics thing?
It is easier to shoot a hinge or thumb with back tension. not that you can't shoot a wrist release with BT, but I found it much easier to learn with a hinge than a wrist release.

Why shoot BT. Your subconscious mind can do many thing at one time well, but your conscious mind can only do one thing at a time. So when shooting BT your conscious mind just AIMS & everything else is run by your subconscious mind.
Most when shooting a wrist release the conscious mind is bouncing back & forth from aiming to pulling the trigger. this causes you to flinch, pull off target, freeze off target, & many other bad things that effect your shoot. most are not good.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 11:42 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambush
I wonder how many of us are left that just use our fingers to shoot. Lol
You'll do fine with a trigger release. You'll also look for solutions like back tension or thumb trigger releases if you ever get a case of target panic. I'm not saying thumb trigger and hinge shooters don't get target panic, I'm saying that you need to do things a little different when you do.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-11-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

I had the opportunity to shoot with a BT release today and frankly I liked it. I was at a local range and an acquaintance allowed me to try his Tru Ball Sweet Spot II. I got the hang of it pretty quickly. It intrigued me so I came home and ordered one lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page