Release Problem - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Release Problem

I was hunting yesterday (NY) and, after climbing and getting settled in, drew the bow. I think we all do this. Well, off it went without me touching the trigger! I hooked onto the string and partially drew it several times...ok. Then, to put full poundage on it, I loaded another arrow for a full draw...pointing at the ground. Off it went. Time to go home...after retrieving both arrows.

I have a Fletchunter release...which I love. At home, I drew a couple feet from my block target...after a few tries it went off again. Now, the sensitivity hasn't been adjusted in at least a few years so I didn't think proper adjustment was the issue. I put some alcohol in a cup and swished and flushed the release well. I was surprised at the amount of dirt that came out! And those familiar with a Fletchunter know that there isn't really much to them, far less than most releases. After flushing I shot numerous times and all was fine. Just a heads up that cleaning your release like this once a year may not be a bad idea. Even after that...being a bit paranoid...I lessened the sensitivity just a tad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 09:33 AM

Re: Release Problem

How is your loop. sometimes they break down & allow the release to slip thru under tension. had a guy launch an arrow thru a 3D course a couple years ago because of this.

The release was fine. 2 other people used his release on their bows with no problems.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 07:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

I don't know much about releases except I have a Scott Release that I've had for 15 years that works Great, but I'm starting to get a little worried about the leather strap it shows a lot of wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 12:30 PM
The Man

Well son, it's your problem. No one else's

Did you practice enough with the release in practice shooting?
You should have the release working as good as your fingers operate. You should have repeated the firing sequence in practice so often you can fire without looking at the release.
I believe that the finger should be nowhere near the trigger until ready to fire.

If you haven't learned to practice with CALMNESS you don't learn it hunting.
And if you do a herky-jerky movement in hunting you may never learn to hunt with a bow.
If you're self taught, a look at some archery shooters on 'you tube' might help.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 01:29 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mus42tang
Well son, it's your problem. No one else's

Did you practice enough with the release in practice shooting?
You should have the release working as good as your fingers operate. You should have repeated the firing sequence in practice so often you can fire without looking at the release.
I believe that the finger should be nowhere near the trigger until ready to fire.

If you haven't learned to practice with CALMNESS you don't learn it hunting.
And if you do a herky-jerky movement in hunting you may never learn to hunt with a bow.
If you're self taught, a look at some archery shooters on 'you tube' might help.
Even I can't figure out this response--the OP said it went off multiple times without even touching the trigger. It went off into a target without touching a trigger. The release malfunctioned. It happens. It had nothing to do with his ability nor his technique. I've had it happen with $185 releases. Anything mechanical can fail to operate properly. The OP got it cleaned out, and now all is fine. His post was an FYI on the equipment, not a technique problem.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 01:59 PM

I always carry a backup release in my pack. A broken or lost release will certainly ruin a good day of archery hunting. That and toilet paper is a must with me.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShot
I always carry a backup release in my pack. A broken or lost release will certainly ruin a good day of archery hunting. That and toilet paper is a must with me.
LOL... The TP is a must.....
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 05:37 PM

I hade a TRU BALL Tornado that I been shooting since they came out. This year, I drew down on a doe, and yep... refused to fire. Pressed the trigger over and over. took me a half our to get it off the loop. Pulled out my back up, and finished off the day, doeless... I then decided this lil feller was done for so i moved on to a TRU FIRE Hardcore 4 finger. If you never tried one, think about it.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 11:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShot
A spare doesn't take up much room.
I started carrying an extra when I dropped mine out of my stand and had to climb down (climber)
to retrieve it.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 01:05 AM

A friend of mine is so cheap he wont buy a second release... He has a magnet on a string in case he drops it.. I always hope the release is like aluminium... that will teach him!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page