Bow for youth hunter - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Bow for youth hunter

Our 14yr old wants to start bow hunting which is AWESOME but I'm having trouble making a decision on what bow to get him. Anyone have any experience with what's good, what's bad, should I go with new, used??? Don't want to spend a bundle until I see if he's going to stick with it. He's average size and has not shot a compound before. Starter bow ideas would be much appreciated...thanks!

Spray'er down, eat lunch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Bow for youth hunter

You may try something like the Bear Apprentice. But for me being a Matthews guy, I would suggest a Mission Craze. It is a great bow and is made by Matthews, so you know it is quality. The only other thing that I've never tried since it is a youth bow is the Barnett Vortex Hunting Package. It is cheaper than the other two and looks like it is a good starter bow. Personally, I'd get the Mission Craze. Good luck.

I will never understand why people can be so blinded by a liar.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 02:05 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can't go wrong with a name brand youth bow. They are the only bows in any line that hold their value, and resale on the used market is easy. With that said, given the fact that your boy is 14, he will grow and develop strength quickly over the next 2-4 years. Look at the following bows that allow easy change in drawlength (with allen screw changes) and easy increased in poundage: Hoyt Ignite, Mission Craze, PSE Stinger X, or the Diamond Core. None will break the bank, but if you buy new, you better figure on $500 by the time you by arrows, release, and in some cases rest and site and stabilizer. Best time to shop for a used one is beginning now- once people start buying bigger bows, the youth ones go on sale quickly.

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 07:58 PM
Part of the Community

I second the Mission Craze. Got one for my son at 12 when he was 5 '2" and 113 lbs. The Craze has loads of adjustment and still fits him at 6' 2" and150 lbs. The nice part is that I can shoot it now. Well made bow, relatively inexpensive, and if he changes his mind about hunting, should be an easy sell.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the help. Being able to change the draw length at home is a big plus. Was looking at Diamond Infinity package today. Seems like the guys buying these really like them. Found one on the shelf at a sporting goods store and it looks like a decent bow. Sight and rest are cheapy plastic but will prob get the job done. On amazon for 270.

Spray'er down, eat lunch.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 10:44 PM

Mission Craze... My friend got his sonone and its a great starter bow and you wont be buying him one every two years. They are fast and forgiving.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 12:51 AM

Look on Archery Auction on line. They have a Mission Craze listed there for 350.00.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I'm leaning hard toward the infinite edge by diamond.

very adjustable both draw length and weight something my boy can pass to his little brother good stuff and less than $350 for a ready to shoot / hunt package
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 PM

Good choice... make the kiddo smile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page