Crossbow selection help - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Crossbow selection help

After years of longbow and compound bow shooting I am looking at moving to a crossbow for deer hunting. Today I shot a Mathews Mission MXB 360 and really liked it. I would appreciate hearing opinions on this bow as well suggestions and advise relative to helping a new (potentially) crossbow hunter to select the right gear. Thanks in advance.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 05:37 PM

Re: Crossbow selection help

Sweet bow. I have the MXB 400 but would opt for the 360 if I were doing it again. The 360 will do everything you need it to do. The Mission bows have been very reliable and I like their lightweight design and narrow front end.

The riser area on the Missions can be tricky for broad head selection because of blade clearance issues. Most opt to go the mechanical route with Spitfires, Swhackers, Reapers etc...

At some point, you will need more arrows with most opting to go with non factory arrows. iMO, always get arrows with a brass insert up front. This increases FOC balances which is preferred on short crossbow arrows. The hot arrow right now is the .001 Black Eagle Executioners in the crossbow world.

The Factory scope is a Hawke which is very popular on crossbows these days. That is what I mostly shoot as well. No worries on the scope.

Get some good sting wax to keep the cables and string waxed which is important on crossbows because of their high draw weights and stresses. Rail lube is hit and miss. Some use it and some do not. I use it but like the low viscosity stuff like 30-06 Outdoors Xfuel or Scorpion Venom. I do not like the gel like lubes that are out there. The collect too much gunk.

That should get you off and running. Good luck!

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 06:50 PM

The Mathews Mission MXB 360 is a heck of a bow. But since you were asking for suggestions I really like Excalibur Crossbows. Very simple, maintenance you can do yourself, lifetime guarantee, with no questions asked. You can change your own string in the field in in less than 5 minutes. The compound xbows you may have to wait a week or more. Look at the Excalibur website forum. Like they say keep it simple.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had a Mission but soon got rid of it, nice bow BUT with my hunting boots on my foot didn't fit in to cock it. I also had a Excal. that had to be the LOUDEST Xbow I ever shot, I didn't like the noise or the width of the bow for blind hunting. I just traded that (on this site) for a Bow tech stryker 380. The strykers had thier problems but the one I traded for was just back from Bow tech after being completey redone, now this one I really like this has the best trigger of any xbow I ever shot,it's fairly quiet and very fast. I also have a WickedRidge Invader that I just got back from TEN POINT YESTERDAY they replaced the complete front end do to the limbs fracturing and the cams an axles being bad from the factory all for free.
After all this my advice to you,>>>>>>> GO SHOOT A BUNCH OF DIFFERANT ONE'S AND MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICE. Because everybody has thier own opinion on what they like.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 07:47 PM

Just a quick note on Excaliburs. There were once the most bulletproof crossbow on the market. With their move to short limb width and high draw weights, has come a increasing number of problems with their limbs. This on the Martrix series.

They still have a lot going for them though. I will probably have a Matrix 380 in my collection at some point.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Just a quick note on Excaliburs. There were once the most bulletproof crossbow on the market. With their move to short limb width and high draw weights, has come a increasing number of problems with their limbs. This on the Martrix series.

They still have a lot going for them though. I will probably have a Matrix 380 in my collection at some point.
Yes they definitely have had more issues than with the old bows, but are still really reliable and I would guess that the rate of issues is probably still less than a lot of companies. One thing that seems to be contributing to the issue is not having the brace height set at the proper position. A lot of this is caused by the factory string that keeps stretching and stretching and a lot of people don't realize that you have to adjust it. Excal could do itself a big favor by getting a better factory string that doesn't stretch so much. They should also include a stringing aid along with a sticker warning about how to maintain the proper brace height.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

These are really helpful, detailed, and very informative replies. To all, I appreciate the time and effort that was taken to get me on the right path. Thanks.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 09:38 AM

from what i read online, the top crossbow this year is the stryker solution ls. shoots 390fps with only 150 lb. draw. a friend of mine bought one and said the trigger pull is just like a rifle. i have a parker tornado myself and the trigger pull [censored]. you have to pull the trigger like half an inch until it goes off. if i could afford any new crossbow, i'd be looking seriously at the striker solution LS.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 04:04 PM

I own a mission 320, and I have to say it is an awesome bow. It is a very quite bow as far as crossbows go. Short and narrow, If you do any kind of tree stand hunting, this will come in handy. You can change the strings and cables yourself with out a press. Also, if you need a crank device to cock your bow, mission has the best crank in the industry if you ask me. Also, they have a lifetime warranty on their bows for the original owner. What is not to like about the mission line!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page