Mathews vs. Mission - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mathews vs. Mission

Note: I do not know a lot of the ins and outs of bow specs.

I am considering upgrading my bow for next year. I have heard a lot of good things about Mathews so I checked them out (online). They are ridiculously priced. So I looked (online) at the Mission which is made by Mathews. What are the downgrades from a Mathews bow that makes the Mission cheaper? I am usually a "you get what you pay for" kinda guy so it would seem to me that Mathews is elite and they have downgraded something to get to the cheaper bow - Mission? Does this also mean that even though Mathews makes Mission that it is not elite like the Mathews and that it is comparable to other $599 bows?

Sorry for the ramble, just looking for some solid advice. I will be making my way to the shop but probably not until after season. And yes I will be checking out all brands, just curious about this Mission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Mathews vs. Mission

I guess I should specify that I am looking at the Mission Blaze.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

there really isnt that much of a difference, i shot a mission for a few years and it was a great bow. the blaze doesnt have a roller guard but a chill does (no biggie) the riser is different and the mission might be a cast riser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 05:00 PM
The Man

Mission bows are cheaper because they are basically Mathews technology from a few years prior. They wanted a product that was affordable and appealed to someone who did not want to drop 8-900 bucks on a new bow.

I know several people with the Mission Craze and they all like them. I shot a Mission 4 years ago before I bought the Z7 and I thought it shot well but definately did not have the feel of the newer Mathews.

Nothing wrong with buying a Mission.

2F for a while...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

I took a brief look at the mission bows, while I was looking for my new bow this past summer. I had shot for 3 years a PSE Axe 6. My old pse was a good bow for me to start with. It gave me a good base line for what I wanted to upgrade to.

What are you shooting now?

I wanted a forgiving bow with decent speed, I wanted it light, packable and quite. I wanted a nice smooth draw and most of all a solid back wall. My biggest gripe about my pse was it wanted to go go go. And it had a shorter brace height. So it was not as forgiving.

My heart still pounds out of my chest when I see a deer I want to shoot. So I need all the help I can get.

I guess now on to the actual bow selection. I have found that you don't need to spend top dollar on equipment to get the job done. I have savage rifles that will out shoot my fathers Cooper rifles every day of the week. His look nicer but the deer don't care about that. lol

I looked at all the bows in my local shop. PSE, Mission, Mathews, Diamond, Bowtech and Bear. I had looked at the G5 and Martins at another shop. I made a decision I would go after the bow that fit me the best. With in my spec's. I hunt from a tree stand 100% of the time in archery and most of the time I am walking in deep. So I need it compact.

I drew and shot and played with more bows than I can remember. But I kept coming back to the Mathews. Price is killer. I know. That really was hard to get over. Especially when you start adding your accessories. However, I wanted a bow that would last, Life time warranty is great! I really liked how smooth it was and quiet. The fit and finish is outstanding and accurate to boot. The Mathews Creed XS is what I got. I am short 5'7". With a 27.5 inch draw length. This bow fit me the best. Was the smoothest and the lightest.

I wouldn't do my shopping online. Get to a bow shop with a big selection. Work with someone who will take their time with you and "fit" a good bow to you. I learned a lot by shopping for my new bow and it has paid off with better accuracy and more confidence with my shots.

The mission bow has standard options for a bow in its price range. I would search for many different bows in that price range and see what fits you the best.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunjack
Bear Done Deal. Really isn't a bad bow. I've had it for about 6 yrs now. I'm not sure that it is set up right. When I first got it I had Bass Pro do some work on it and when I drew it back in their shooting lane it "blew up". He spent 1/2 hour putting it back together. Made me very nervous. Sometimes the arrow flies wacky. And the string always goes outside the dampener after I release. So maybe I just need to take it to a good shop to tune it but I was thinking of just starting fresh.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 05:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrowles
Quote:
Bear Done Deal. Really isn't a bad bow. I've had it for about 6 yrs now. I'm not sure that it is set up right. When I first got it I had Bass Pro do some work on it and when I drew it back in their shooting lane it "blew up". He spent 1/2 hour putting it back together. Made me very nervous. Sometimes the arrow flies wacky. And the string always goes outside the dampener after I release. So maybe I just need to take it to a good shop to tune it but I was thinking of just starting fresh.
Ohhh gesshhh. Sounds like they did a number on your bow. I would take it to a good place for them to look at it. Most places will be pretty busy this time of year so get there early and with time to spare.

I have a cabin in Bedford. We often go to Juniata Tradeing, I have never been in there for archery equipement always ammo. Or to just look around. Are they any good?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Ohhh gesshhh. Sounds like they did a number on your bow. I would take it to a good place for them to look at it. Most places will be pretty busy this time of year so get there early and with time to spare.

I have a cabin in Bedford. We often go to Juniata Tradeing, I have never been in there for archery equipement always ammo. Or to just look around. Are they any good?
The bow never seemed to have accuracy issues so I didn't get too concerned about it. Would like to tune it though even if I sell it.

Never been to Juniata trading. That's none too close to me.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrowles
Quote:

I wouldnt let them work on my bow
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 01:56 PM

I'm shooting an 09 Mission Eliminator. It's quiet and shoots great. I can afford any bow I want, just don't want any right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page