Suggestions for New Arrows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Suggestions for New Arrows

After robin hooding an arrow last night, I realized that I am down to my last 4 Easton Axis arrows, so I am planning on buying some new ones within the next week or so. I did like the Easton's, but I am considering purchasing some different arrows and looking for some suggestions.

The finished weight of the Easton's I was shooting was around 425gr (~9.5gpi) and I'd like to keep the weight of the new arrows in the same ballpark. I'm shooting a Hoyt Vector Turbo 29.5" DL @ 67#.

I haven't bought arrows in a few years and it's almost overwhelming how many options are available, so I would welcome everyone's suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Suggestions for New Arrows

LOL, if you're "robin hooding" arrows, I'd suggest buying more of what you have now.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

It wasn't a true robin hood since it caught the nock just slightly off center, but the result was the same. I should know better by now than to shoot groups at 15 yards.

One of the big reasons I'd like to get away from the Easton arrows is that they have the "deep six" inserts and not all broadheads and points are compatible (or readily available).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Frequent Contributor

I switched over to the goldtip hunter xts... I shoot the 5575 (8.2 grams per inch.) they do make them closer to the size you're looking for. But speaking strictly of quality I'd highly recommend them.

I believe in God, family and fair dealings.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esox_Hunter
It wasn't a true robin hood since it caught the nock just slightly off center, but the result was the same. I should know better by now than to shoot groups at 15 yards.

One of the big reasons I'd like to get away from the Easton arrows is that they have the "deep six" inserts and not all broadheads and points are compatible (or readily available).
I shot ACCs for a long time and loved them, but the last few years went with Beman ICS and love them the same.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have shot Bemans, CX and Gold Tips with pretty good luck over the last few years. About a month ago, I decided to try a heavier micro-diameter Bloodsport Impact arrow. I love them. They weight about 65 grains more than my last Gold Tips, so they are slower, but they fly great. Also made a huge difference with fixed blade flight. I didnt change the spine, but the Impacts actually are about 1.5 inches shorter carbon to carbon than my XT's so it stiffened up a bit. Hit hard and fly very very well. Excited to shoot them this year.

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think Bemans and Easton are still the only American made arrow, and are always my choice. Been shooting Easton Bloodlines the last couple years and like the 9/32 OD and .003 straightness for seventy some dollars a dozen raw

The older I get the better I was.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

second the gold tip hunters
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

Piledriver EPT. I shoot 70lbs but with a short 27 inch draw length. With slower bow speeds and shorter, less weight arrow my kinetic energy has always suffered. After shooting a couple brands of arrows these ones had the best compromise of speed and total arrow weight. Small diameter mid weight arrow. Shoots great and as I recall last year were 60 bucks per half dozen.

Game Life Hunters
Cuttin&Gruntin

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

How much do you want to spend per dozen?

A haiku is just like a normal American poem, except it doesnt rhyme and is totally stupid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page