Making sure the bow STAYS right! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Making sure the bow STAYS right!

Many of you are getting good practice right now, or are just getting the bow out with good intentions. Here is a tip that has helped me on both the 3D courses and in the woods. MEASURE EVERYTHING WHEN THE BOW IS SHOOTING WELL!

By that I mean measure to the 16th of an inch the following measurements: Axle to Axle, brace height, if you shoot with a loop, the inside length of the loop from the string to the loop material. Measure from the top of the loop knot to the center of your kisser button if you use it, and also to the center of the peep where the strings cross. I've found that a silver sharpie marks well on all color strings, especially black and dark green and brown. I mark a line across my strings and onto my peep so I can see if it has moved. Take all these measurements and put them on a card in your case. Loops, kissers, peeps, nock points, etc can all move during a season. Here is your baseline for when things don't seem to go right.
Mark your windage and elevation alignment on your sight somehow. Things get bumped. Again, the silver sharpie works great here.

Now if the shot is not hitting where you want, and everything is still where it belongs based upon your marks and measurements, then you need to adjust the nut that sits right behind the string! Most of my problems can be found in the 5 1/2 inches between my left and right ears.

Good luck this year and shot straight!

Wishing I was at camp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 01:39 PM

Re: Making sure the bow STAYS right!

Very good advice! A few years ago my friend helped me drag my buck out after dark thru the laurel and then missed a decent buck 2 mornings later at pretty close range. We went back to his house and he took a shot at 20 or 25 yards and hit between his 3-d buck's feet! Peep got snagged in the brush and slid on the string. Now before heading out for the evening hunt we usually take a shot or 2 just in case!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 02:16 PM

i tie my peep in so it can't move. i also take a marker & trace around the rest on the riser, & index mark the moving parts of my rest & sight. if anything gets moved i can see it right away & put it back where it belongs, or at least pretty close.

Pence/Putin 2024
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 05:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellodog
i tie my peep in so it can't move. i also take a marker & trace around the rest on the riser, & index mark the moving parts of my rest & sight. if anything gets moved i can see it right away & put it back where it belongs, or at least pretty close.
This is what i do. Marking it has also shown me that when the bow appears to be off, and i start adjusting stuff, and then end up right back where it was before, to look at myself first before moving anything. I don;t move anything unless i have changed a component of my set up and confirmed the bow is still in tune.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:13 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm with you Guru, once I get my bow timed, tuned, and everything set. I measure, mark, and also hog tie in my peep so it won't move. I also tie small nock sets for reference in case I need to change a loop and also to help prevent nock pinch.

The older I get the better I was.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 02:15 AM

What is nock pinch?

Uh Oh! Janie's got her gun!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie
What is nock pinch?
nock pinch is when at full draw the string pinches the nock & the front of the arrow lifts off the rest causing wayward shots.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie
What is nock pinch?
nock pinch is when at full draw the string pinches the nock & the front of the arrow lifts off the rest causing wayward shots.
Thank you for that Ray!

Uh Oh! Janie's got her gun!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa.Bone
I'm with you Guru, once I get my bow timed, tuned, and everything set. I measure, mark, and also hog tie in my peep so it won't move. I also tie small nock sets for reference in case I need to change a loop and also to help prevent nock pinch.
I do the same thing. Some guys ask why I tie my peeps like that and say it is overkill, but I don't like worrying about anything when the moment of truth arrives. I also like the tied in nocks to prevent pinch and they speed the process up of changing loops like you mentioned.

-Bowhunter

Coop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page