Having trouble getting my new sight set up - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Having trouble getting my new sight set up

I need some help with my bow. I put new 60x strings on it since it has never had them changed out (7 year old bow). At the same time I also installed a new sight. It's a Truglo Carbon XS sight. The problem I have is the sight is adjusted down as far as it will go. It has pins 4 and they are also set as low as they will go in the housing. The top pin is set at 20 yards and I'm right on, but I'm not sure if I can even set the other pins, haven't tried yet actually. But this seems wrong. Being that I'm pretty new to archery, I'm not sure what I should adjust, or how. I can post pictures later this afternoon if that would be helpful.

Maybe this isn't wrong, but it just feels like everything should be more centered and not at the extreme end of the tolerances of the sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Having trouble getting my new sight set up

When you had new strings put on did you have the arrow knocking point checked,leveled. Is your peep set right. It should be in a position which is natural, that is you do not move your head to see through the peep.

Did they have to crank your bow down in poundage to press it and put the new strings on and not crank it back up. With everything having to be low on the site, that means you are raisin the bow to hit the 20 yard target.

Maybe I'm missing something, but you should have your 20 yard pin at near the top of the site, allowing enough room to have a good site picture. Then shoot your bow, adjust only the site housing axis till the 20 yards is spot on. Then all other pins should just fall in below as the distance increases.

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 02:18 PM

I am not familiar with that sight but alot of sights have a mounting bracket that is not straight can be flipped upside down and will give you more adjustment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The place I took it to get the strings installed did just that. When I picked up the bow they just handed it to me and I paid. I thought I should have been able to spend some time shooting a few arrows with them, but I guess that wasn't the case. Luckily there is a good shop near me that I can go to and get myself all fixed up. I will go there this weekend. Thanks for the answers guys.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treed74
Is your peep set right. It should be in a position which is natural, that is you do not move your head to see through the peep.
+1 I bet this is the problem.

-Bowhunter

Coop
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

The peep sight was way off. So I took it back and got it set correctly. That shouldn't be the problem.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag
The place I took it to get the strings installed did just that. When I picked up the bow they just handed it to me and I paid. I thought I should have been able to spend some time shooting a few arrows with them, but I guess that wasn't the case. Luckily there is a good shop near me that I can go to and get myself all fixed up. I will go there this weekend. Thanks for the answers guys.
Anytime i take the bow in for a string replacement or tuning, i'm there with it. They make sure the peep is good prior to tying it in by having me draw it and ensure my sight picture is right. Then i go shoot a few and usually they say go take a few shots just to make sure.

Hope you get it set up right. Less than two months to go!

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by treed74
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmag
Anytime i take the bow in for a string replacement or tuning, i'm there with it. They make sure the peep is good prior to tying it in by having me draw it and ensure my sight picture is right. Then i go shoot a few and usually they say go take a few shots just to make sure.

Hope you get it set up right. Less than two months to go!
Yeah I was kinda wondering why they didn't have me shoot it. Oh well, no worries, I will have it back in tip top shape by this weekend.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 09:30 PM

Good luck and if your shop isn't taking care of you, find one who will.

Uh Oh! Janie's got her gun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page