Bow TUNING???? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bow TUNING????

I feel this is a time appropriate subject to be discussed since the season is fast approaching.

The subject of "Tuning" always comes up, but I believe a lot of folks don't really understand what tuning is or how simple it is to do.

The tuning I'm referring to is done by moving your rest for horizonal adjustments and the loop or nockset for vertical adjustments. I assume all other factors such as arrow spline, fletching clearance, cam timing, etc., are all correct. The rest/loop tuning must be done by you...or someone with you as you shoot.

Simply put, a tuned bow is a bow that has the rest and the loop in the EXACT location for that bow and that shooter to achieve perfect arrow flight. I would imagine that anyone with hundreds and hundreds of dollars invested in today's well made equipment, would want to shoot nothing less than a well tuned bow.

I listed a couple of links below to start this off. There are many, many articles and youtube videos on bow tuning. Do yourself a favor and learn this simple procedure.

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/tactics...adhead_flight/

http://www.qdma.com/forums/archive/i...p/t-39627.html

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bow TUNING????

Thanks for posting, some good info there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just a couple more observations about tuning your bow.

I hear a lot of guys saying that their shop "set it up" so it's in tune, right?

A good shop can check all the mechanical features, such as the cam timing, tiller, ata, arrow spine and such to make sure that's all up to snuff. They also should set the loop or nock set with a bow square and the rest center shot with various methods. This is just the starting point. No matter how good they are at setting your loop/rest, the bow is NOT in tune. The tune comes from actually shooting the bow using some of the methods listed above.

For you to tune your bow, all you need is a place to shoot and the allen wrench that came with your rest. A good rest with independant vertical and horizonal adjustments makes tuning much easier.

When I tune a bow, I always start out with "paper tuning".
Then a walk back tune (start at 20 then 40 then 60).
And finally broadhead tune.
Now you're ready.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:27 PM

Good advise. This year due to major projects I have shot the least amount of arrows during the Summer that I have launched in nearly 40 years of archery shooting and hunting. My shooting has consisted of (3) 3D shoots and my scores have dropped off with each shoot...normally they tend to go up. So, shortly it is back to basics, paper tuning, walk back, bare shaft, and a few other tuning and sight setting techniques; however, I doubt the bow is very far out of tune. Whereas, it is the operator who is out of tune. As a part of the process I will be doing a lot of form shooting with out a bulls eye. The few shots I made well in the recent 3D event I could tell my form felt right and as a result those arrows found their mark. So for me bow tuning and shooter tune is required....

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 04:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

It has only been the last few years that I realized that walk back tuning, paper tuning, even bare shaft tuning are only parts of the puzzle. Lately I've been doing a lot with yoke tuning and it has taken my groups from tennis ball size at 50 yds to 2 robin hoods in 2 nights at the same distance. When you "super tune" with yoke tuning, as well as doing the walk back tuning and bare shaft tuning, broadheads are where you want them all of the time. The problem with yoke tuning is simple, you need either your own press, or a proshop that is interested in spending that much time with you. I can understand that dealers can't do that this time of year, but many are more than willing to help you tune like this during April, May, and June when sales and pressure are low.

The long and short of it, when you wait till August and September to get your bow ready and have to rely on other people to help, you get what you get.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 05:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was just at my local shop and had to reset up my rest that a lesser shop screwed up and then paper tuned and added a couple twists here and ther now it's driving tacks no matter the distNce I'm shooting I try and go during the day in the middle of the week they tend not to be real busy then
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 05:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0214
I was just at my local shop and had to reset up my rest that a lesser shop screwed up and then paper tuned and added a couple twists here and ther now it's driving tacks no matter the distNce I'm shooting I try and go during the day in the middle of the week they tend not to be real busy then
Good Advice from the Gobbler.
Just currious, what range are you shooting at?
Not a big fan of an indoor range that is packed.
I have limited shooting in my back yard, about 15 yards.
Enough to keep myself loose and in bow shape.
have a nagging shoulder that is starting to worry me.

Potter County
Gods Country USA
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Potter I go up to archeryaddictions in walnut port it's about 30/45 minutes from me in Telford great people and shop they have a indoor 20 yrd plus a indoor and outdoor 3d range I would definatly recommend them to anyone also I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot at 40 yards in my back yard
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck0214
also I'm lucky enough to be able to shoot at 40 yards in my back yard
That is a big plus. I have a 50+ yard range and a paper tuning frame right out the back door. My buddy, right down the road, has 100+ yard range. I've had it there so long that I take it for granted. I realize not everyone has that luxury.

GOBBLE THIS!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page