expandables or fixed blades? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

expandables or fixed blades?

Trying to decide what to get this year. First year hunting with bow . I hear great thing bout expandables but worry that shooting a lighter weight bow,they may fail to open. Is this true? I shoot a 50 lb draw. How different from field points do fixed blades fly? Can folks recommend good fixed blade and a good expandable? I hear rage and ramcats are great. Same with muzzy for fixed blades

Thanks

Smallmouth river angler who decided to give this hunting thing a try!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 01:53 AM
The Man

Re: expandables or fixed blades?

spend time to tune your bow and shoot a good fixed blade like Muzzy or slick tricks.
Google "walk back tuning" and do it!

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 02:19 AM
Banned

For expandables I would go with either the Grim Reaper 1 3/8, 1 1/2, or the NAP spitfire. 50 lbs will have no problem opening them. Just don't go with any larger cut diameter. Both heads are of similar design. Shooting a lighter draw weight doesn't necessarily mean they will fail to open. That's what I like about the design of these heads, it is darn near impossible for something to go wrong with them. Just my opinion, but I would NOT use a rage head.

For fixed blades, I would go with the NAP [censored] Razor. It is a tough cut on contact head that is 1 piece and wicked sharp right out of the pack.

Broadheads, both fixed and expandables can fly differently than field points. You just have to shoot them and see. Generally, expandables tend to be more like field points, but that may not be the case with you.

I shoot Grim Reaper Whitetail Specials with a 2 inch cut and they group as well as fields points out to 65 yds. That is the farthest I have shot them so far.

PA Waterfowler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 02:30 AM

I used grim reapers and lost a pope and young buck due to poor penetration. Don't get caught up in the mechanical hype. Stick with a good fixed blade and take the time to practice and above all, if it's not a good shot just wait. My shot on that buck was good it just didn't get the penetration after deflecting off of the rib. It is a really rotten feeling knowing that you just crippled a great buck and it may have been prevented with a good fixed head.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Grim reapers should open when it contacts the hide. If the rib? deflected a deployed blade on an expandable it would also deflect a bade on a fixed head? Any head can be deflected if there is any angle to the shot.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-30-2014, 03:51 PM
dce
Sage

The problem isn't with the BH opening with a low poundage bow.The problem is decreased penetration.Get with a knowledgable person that can help you set up,tune and match your arrows with the bow.I personally see no reason to ever use a mechanical.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 12:59 AM

I shoot 53lbs. I won't use mechanicals, because I am not confident they will work with the low poundage. I use Phatheads & they fly great. They hit the same poi as my FP's out to 40 yards.(I haven't tested them further) I have killed deer with pass thru's with this set up. The doe I shot at 36 yards did not get a pass thru, but had an exit hole. It only went 40 yards.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 01:40 AM

I've killed piles of deer with both types. As often as I switch heads I'm sure I'll kill a pile more with both.

My favorite fixed heads are the g5 Striker and Slick Trick Magnum. I have lots of favorite mechanicals but my all time favorite would be the Grim Reaper 1 3/8" Razortip.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 11:02 AM
The Man

Well there are experts, newbies, part-timers and professionals. And all do not see archery the same way. Nor should they.
Expandables have been on the market for decades. They work if you take the time to see how they operate.
Newbies and part-timers don't get in a lot of practice. Not everyone can "tune" a bow. And not everyone can get a fixed blade to shoot with two weeks to go before archery season starts. That's why expandables were invented and continue to sell.

Part-timer, newbie, or old user, you still have to do one thing with any broadhead. You have to put the shot in the right place on a deer.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOTOXEN
spend time to tune your bow and shoot a good fixed blade like Muzzy or slick tricks.
Google "walk back tuning" and do it!
What this guy said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page