The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Ramcat Broadheads Question

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  PaTrophyHunter 
#1 ·
I am looking for a fixed blade broad head. I've heard good things about Ramcats but the blades appear flimsy. Can anyone with experience with these heads chime in?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

#3 ·
Ramcats have worked for me! Complete pass thrus every shot I have taken. One blade was bent on the end and one was broken off but don't know if it happened inside the deer or when it stuck in the ground on the other side? It is very rocky where I hunt. I do know they fly great and are very sharp! The guy and his wife who have the company are from Pittsburgh.

#8 ·
Killin'time said:
QAD Exodus and call it a day. trust me on that one. You'll never look back.
This ^^^ is my new go to fixed blade!

ETA: 20 yard shot down hill, from tree stand, between two tree limbs 6" apart, with a 50 yard recovery.

I've got 3 of them in my jewelry box waiting for me come October!

#9 ·
When it comes to broadheads I've seen a lot of pictures of deer taken and entry and exit wounds.
But sometimes litlle mention of accuracy.
I switched to Slick Trics and have yet to shoot a deer with them, but the accuracy is awesome. Dead on like field tips.
I'm shooting the 100 gr. 4 blade and by the looks of them no doubt in my mind what they will do.
No flimsey blades here.

#10 ·
I haven't shot either...the ramcat..I don't like the flimsy look and blades doing whatever they do on a hinge or whatever?

The QAD exodus looks like a solid head...but I don't know about the blade over shaft deal...hit something solid and they may flex enough to damage a 10-15$ carbon shaft..? I don't know..just a possibility from the look I got online..

I can speak for slick trick mags and grizztricks...

I've killed deer and turkeys with both...I am shooting the mags now just because I can buy them and blades locally where grizztricks I couldn't...

Both fly awesome..both tune right with my field points..both blow a nasty hole...

I really like the 4 blade holes over 3 blade holes after shooting 3 blade heads..

My last mag kill

Blood trail was like that and heavier for all 30 yards she went...

Entrance

Exit

Put any arrow with any decent broadhead there and I'm sure results would been similar...but the holes and blood trail were very impressive to say the least...one of those trails where you walk off to the side to keep blood off your boots...

I look for accuracy...a broadhead does me no good if it won't shoot accurately...it does me no good if it won't tune with my field points..I tune and get them flying right and then practice with fielpoints to save my targets and periodically check my BH flight a few arrows a session..

And I look for durability..and easy of repair...I can buy slicktrick blades at most shops...and they swap out in seconds..I carry a few sets in the truck for when I whack a turkey or whatever..

My one question on the slicktricks is will they maintain their high standards now that they've been sold....? I sure hope so because I am happy with them...

#12 ·
mauser06 said:
I haven't shot either...the ramcat..I don't like the flimsy look and blades doing whatever they do on a hinge or whatever?
I agree and I don't really care about an instance of shooting through wood. To me, they are not even a fixed blade. How can it be fixed if it moves???? If it moves, it's mechanical and it can fail and you won't ever catch me shooting it.
Like someone said earlier, I shoot G5 Montec's. One solid piece, resharpenable and they fly true. I have a number of kills and zero losses with them.
To each their own I guess.

#13 ·
I agree..no mechanical on my arrows...I carried a Snyper for a bit before rage..I never could bring myself to nock it even though they had a heck of a following and track record...

Reality is most broad heads out there will work when you center punch a deer in the chest and don't hit anything tougher than a rib...

I've seen enough pics of mechanicals with mysterious missing blades...not for ME...but that's just ME...

Yes...were shooting deer in PA...not cape buffalo or elephant... But bad shots happen..invisible twig..jumping the string..punched the shot..took a step as it was being sent etc etc..just reasons why I want a broadhead less prone to issues...but that's just me...my next arrows and broad heads may go to an extreme..built for penetration and durability...

#14 ·
mauser06 said:
Reality is most broad heads out there will work when you center punch a deer in the chest and don't hit anything tougher than a rib...
Absolutely. You could probably kill one with a field tip and a perfect hit, but that would be a pretty gruesome death for the animal and unethical. Point is, you could do it.
A photo of one shot or anecdote of one kill with any given broadhead convinces me of nothing. I want a head that is as foolproof as possible.

Not directed at your photos. BTW.

#15 ·
I have another question: let's say your using a low poundage bow, if your arrow dosen't pass through, wouldn't the ramcats be a advantage because they would come out easier and "cut on the way out" making a better blood trail?

Also: Because the blades move, do they make noise in flight or jingle in the quiver?

#16 ·
If you're shooting a low energy bow a large cutting diameter might not be the way to go...especially a 3 or 4 blade..larger cutting diameter and more blades means more resistance to punch through..

Though your point is right...the blades have potential to do more being sharpened on the back...

I still want an exit hole..and a nice low one if I can get it...lots of blood on the ground and quickly...

Pros and cons to everything...

#17 ·
I have practiced with the Ramcats, never had a deer within range. They are very accurate.They ripped right thru my 3d target, and buried in the ground. The blades were slightly damaged. The blades are not loose, they take some force to bend them backwards. They do not move or rattle around in the quiver. Hopefully this season I can test one on a live whitetail.

#18 ·
whil e kioti said:
I have another question: let's say your using a low poundage bow, if your arrow dosen't pass through, wouldn't the ramcats be a advantage because they would come out easier and "cut on the way out" making a better blood trail?

Also: Because the blades move, do they make noise in flight or jingle in the quiver?
It takes a good bit of force to make the blades move forward, so there is no issue with them coming loose. The blades aren't flimsy at all as some had mentioned concern about. I'm an avid bowhunter and have shot alot of different heads and I can tell you the Ramcat is the best I've shot hands down.

Here is a link to the huge bodied buck I shot this past year with a Ramcat. The arrow blew through, cracking a rib in half and stuck in the ground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N5vYXYJGn0

#20 ·
I just bought my fist pack of ramcats last week. Although the blades may be there weak point they seem to be more then enough to handle any animal I fling them at. I normally shoot the Exodus heads but figured I would give these a try. Accuracy with the ramcats are amazing. The do fly better the the Exodus heads. Another thing I like about ramcat is the back cut blades. You won't be disappointed with the ramcats. By the way there from Pennsylvania so that's a bonus to.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.