Shopping new bows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Shopping new bows

I've finally decided to retire my Jennings Buckmaster my dad bought me in '97. So now I'm in the dizzying stage of researching new bows. The things I'm looking for are LESS THAN $500 bare, single cam, at least 7" brace height, and ability to tinker with draw length easily. I'm a little worried about the change to these new bows that have a drastically shorter ATA length than I'm used to. Anyone have any issues with this? The bows I plan to shoot include:
Quest Rogue
PSE Surge
Bear Authority
Mission Venture
Parker Kodiak
Diamond Core

Any feedback on any of these models is appreciated. Also am I leaving any out that I should be considering? This is a hunting/practicing bow. Thanks!

"If you're in the woods, you have a chance." - Dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 04:16 PM
Banned

Re: Shopping new bows

Might be a little over your price range but the G5 Prime's are amazing. They have the binary cams to help with/ prevent torqueing. And the draw, buttery smooth!

I currently shoot a Bear Legion a $500 bow and the Primes are head over heels smoother.

I shoot traditional as well as compound and didn't have extreme difficulty getting used to 31" ATA. Big difference compared to 54" OAl! But there is not much the same between a recurve and compound.

PA Waterfowler
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 07:10 PM

I went from a 62" longbow to a 32" Bear Element to a 30" Bowtech Assassin and had zero issues. Some guys do, some guys don't. I am back to shooting a 32" bow (Bowtech Experience) but just because I had the urge for a new bow. I shoot that Assassin well and I am keeping it for a backup.

I think you should try shooting a couple dual cam bows before you rule them out. The PSE Drive is excellent bow in your price range.

-Bowhunter

Coop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I only was looking single cam because my buckmaster was a dual cam that sometimes developed timing problems as the string stretched and I was hoping to avoid that. Are the newer dual cams easier to keep timed properly? I never really did my own tuning but I bought a couple books and am going to try to do as much on my own now as I can.

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Well after doing a bit of research I see I am waaay behind the times regarding cam types. So now I am open to all types of cam setups in that price point. I always knew the drawbacks and advantages to single and dual cams, but I'm totally new to these hybrid, binary, cam 1/2, etc. I thought most of those terms were just jargon to describe the same principal. It looks like I'm going to be doing alot of shooting at various shops since I didn't realize the economy bows were so plentiful these days. Thanks for the input and keep the suggestions coming!

post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you get a chance shoot as many as you can. I would go with the pse surge but any of those will work well.

www.60XCustomStrings.com
Top quality custom bowstrings
10% off w/code huntpa
$100 gift card giveaway
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:20 AM
Banned

You got the right idea, shoot everything you can get your hands on!
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Two great shooting bows you may want to look at, even a used one to keep your price down. The 7" brace and 35 ATA Bowtech Insanity and Elite Energy 35. PSE Vendetta is another all around bow. I prefer bows that I can shoot indoors, 3D's and feel confident with in the tree. Find a bow with a ATA and brace that fits your needs and you enjoy shooting.

The older I get the better I was.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 PM
The Man

One of the worst experiences I've done is picking out a bow. Each of us has a real different agenda. One way doesn't fit everyone.
First, you did what I did. Picked out an intermediate bow ;priced under $500. For some that's hard right there. There are some good bows selling over $700 and $800 and more. I know the names; I'm just not in the market for them.
Other things I would list:

Learn which bow companies cater to $500 or less bows for archers.

Break down sales totals not just by $500 but those under $400.

I start looking before the new bows come out annually. The early bird can catch the worm, as they say. I've found good buys on soon to be discontinued bows and just discontinued bows. A discontinued bow might not be a bad bow, but a good bow whose margin got too small for the manufacturer. Good deals are found in closeouts, though it's now getting late in the year. buying a bow in a time when others aren't buying gives you more heads up.

If bows are equal I tend towards one sold in my home area. Techs might not be skilled in every bow. It can help if the techs are familiar with the bow, and if you're not a tech.

Unfortunately I've had my eye on a bow recently discontinued. Unfortunately I wasn't in this market earlier in the year.
If I am later in the year, I'll look for a late closeout. The total cost is under $400; ready to shoot.
But I get one when I need it. I spread my cost over seven years; up to ten total years as a backup. The annual cost goes way down; and the initial cost stays reasonable.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:19 AM

I was in the same situation last November. I shot numerous bows from a variety of manufacturers in the same price range as you indicate. I settled on the Parker Kodiac and I'm still thrilled with it. I can honestly say there isn't one thing I do not like about the bow and I have shot it at least weekly since purchase. To this day it still feels right in my hands, through the draw cycle, release, and follow through. Best of luck in your search.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page