buying a new one soon, need some thoughts. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

buying a new one soon, need some thoughts.

Hey guys I know this subject is beat up and overdone but I am curious as to the variety of bows on the market nowadays and interested in what you think of the ones you may have. I recently sold my Mathews z7 magnum to my friend at work for a good price and I'm officially in the market for a new bow. I sold the Mathews because to be totally honest I'm not liking where Mathews are going with their bows anymore. I bought mine 2 years ago brand new and could never get comfortable with shooting it, in my opinion I think Mathews is trying too hard for speed and forgetting what made them the best bow on the planet for years.... Like I said I'm going to buy a new one and honestly I don't believe my next bow will be a Mathews for the simple reason is I just don't like any of the new ones out there, at least right now. I am in absolutely no hurry to purchase a new one and believe I'm going to shoot them all before I decide on anything, definitely going to take the blinders off and not blindly buy a Mathews just for the name. So here's where you guys could help me out a bit, if you have a bow that you absolutely love and would recommend to your best friend please get back to me. I don't care if you post on here or message me or however, I would LOVE to hear some honest unbiased thoughts and opinions on as many bow models as possible. I have been hearing nothing but good about elite archery and prime, also nothing bad about bears new line up. I don't care what brand you have, if you love it and think it's a good bow please let me know all about it. Thanks in advance guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 07:55 PM

Re: buying a new one soon, need some thoughts.

I bought a bowtech invasion in 2012 and love it. I have never been brand loyal to any product so I do a lot of research before I make a purchase. I shot a number of bows and found that the invasion just felt like an extension of my arms.
I did shoot an elite but I can't remember which model. It was a smooth shooting bow but really liked the invasion better. If you are in no rush shoot everything you can and go from there. Good luck finding what you want and have fun working through the decision. After you find the right bow you will have the same dilemma with components!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 08:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

i have a bear legion and love it it has refeuled my passion for archery it is very smooth and i would recomend it to anyone i want to upgrade to the agenda model but just dont have the money to do so i had a hoyt before and it wasnt fun to shoot at all ive shot a couple of pse and didnt care to much for them either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 12:34 AM

I got a regular Z7, not the Magnum, and I love it. Got it for the 2011 season so I haven't been in the market since so can't say much about the 2013-2014 models.

A closed mind keeps the truth out
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 06:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I look for a bow that has the right specs for me. I look for around 36 inch ATA and 7 inch brace that is capable of at least a 31 draw length and I shoot 30 1/2. For me that has been an Elite pure and I ended my indoor league last night with my highest average ever shooting the Pure. There are many good bows on the market find one that fits your needs and enjoyable to shoot.

The older I get the better I was.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 11:52 PM

I shot every bow I could get my hands on including bows from Mathews, Mission, Hoyt, Elite, Bowtech, Bear. Loved a few of them, but when it all came down to putting $$$ on the counter vs how bows felt, I went with a Parker Kodiak. It felt just as good as others, the price was right, and its American made. I shoot it every day if I can, even if its only for 10-15 minutes, and 5 months later I still feel the same way as the day I walked out of the shop with it. Been thrilled with my purchase and allow me to add, I don't buy for a name.......
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 01:10 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Over the past 10 years I have owned Mathews, Hoyt and Elite. I keep going back to Mathews as they feel the best to me while in my hand. I sold a Switchback XT last summer on here to a young man from Lancaster cause I had just purchased a Z7 Extreme, well I like the Extreme and shoot it great,but the Switchback XT was by far the best bow I have ever owned!! I miss it!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:23 PM

For years I bought a new bow or 2 every 2-3 years. Bear, PSE, Hoyt and High Country. In 2005 I bought a Mathews Switchback. I believe I am on my fifth cable and string setup and it still shoots better than I can. I do not see buying a new bow anytime in the future.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I am shooting the new Bear Agenda 6 this year and am amazed at how well it is. Smooth draw, no vibration and very fast. Years ago I would not have even thought of Bear Bows but they have made a huge return. If you have not shot one yet you should. As stated the best thing for you is what fits you best. Shoot as many as you can before deciding.

LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10 KIA fighting for our freedom.

Fabbri Taxidermy
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 11:46 PM
Banned

Currently my compound is a Bear Legion, and it is OK! It does what I need it to do, but it just seems like it is missing something.

Dad has been looking at getting a coumpound, ( we both shoot recurve too) and we have been going to the shop to shoot some different makes and models. Not impressed with the Mattews! So far we have it narrowed down to the Hoyt Faktor and the G5 Prime( cant't remember the model). The Primes are the ones with the duel cams. Leaning towards the Prime becuase of the draw, very smooth.

Best advice is pick a price range and shoot all the bows you can!

PA Waterfowler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page