newbie... want setup help. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

newbie... want setup help.

Well, like the title says, I am just getting into compound. The last two years I've been using a crossbow, but for various reasons I've decided to switch to compound. So now I have a bare bow, and need to get it set up. I've got a general idea about what I'd like, but want some input from somebody with experience. My first question is rest. Should I get a whisker biscuits or go with a dropaway. If so, what brand should I use? Next is sights. I've heard a lot about 1 pin and am really leaning towards using the hha 5510? I think that's it. But if someones got a really good point against it, I'd love to hear what they have to say. Most of my extended family archery hunts, so I am slightly familiar with that idea of it, but any input is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: newbie... want setup help.

To be honest, a whisker biscuit will do everything you need if your hunting. Drop-aways are amazing and you can really notice there advantage at longer yardages,but I think that if your just starting out with a compound, 25 yards max should be great with the whisker biscuit.

As far as sights go, just starting out you could use a single pin sighted into 25 yards and be good. If it is adjustable, you can use it as you grow more and more confident as well.

Spilled blood on our hands fuels reverence for our quarry.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Personally I think the drop aways are great. I shoot a ripcord but the QAD and others are great too. You will be glad you did. Usually your groups shrink noticeably when you switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 09:56 PM
The Man

The equipment you have selected will serve you well. Good luck!

Bigfoot saw me but nobody believes him!
5D
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would go with the Code Red also and the QAD would also work for you. I shoot a 5510 and I think starting out with a single pin is easier than switching from a multi-pin. I see first time archers and young kids become very proficient in a very short time with todays compounds and I suspect you will do the same. Go with the better equipment if you can with summer coming your going to want to shoot farther distances and perhaps some 3D's

The older I get the better I was.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 12:47 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzinstripes
Personally I think the drop aways are great. I shoot a ripcord but the QAD and others are great too. You will be glad you did. Usually your groups shrink noticeably when you switch.
\\

I love drop aways as well, but Ive never seen groups shrink. Maybe fletching from getting tore up.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here is what I always recommend...quality sights, quality rests, quality releases are three integral parts of the bow that directly impact your shot, and are transferable from bow to bow.

I've shot WB, Code Red, QAD, and now a limb driver. For a "newbie", I'd recommend either the Code Red, the QAD, or a limb driver. I do so because all 4 come in some form of capture rest capacity, but the WB can have more affect on your shot point of impact when the bow is torqued during the shot, and beginning archers will make form errors more readily than experienced archers.

As far as sites, you may want to go to a .019 pin rather than a .010 pin. The smaller the pin, the more movement you will see in your site picture. Later on, as you gain more experience and your shot distance increases, you may want a .010 because the smaller pin will not block out as much of the vital areas of a deer at 40 yds. The HHA 5510 has a .010 pin, but you can get an 5519 head to put on it if you want to go with the bigger pin.

Wishing I was at camp!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:53 PM

The HHA sights are high quality and high priced. There are comparable moveable sights out there that are $40 or more cheaper.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leverferever
Well, like the title says, I am just getting into compound. The last two years I've been using a crossbow, but for various reasons I've decided to switch to compound. So now I have a bare bow, and need to get it set up. I've got a general idea about what I'd like, but want some input from somebody with experience. My first question is rest. Should I get a whisker biscuits or go with a dropaway. If so, what brand should I use? Next is sights. I've heard a lot about 1 pin and am really leaning towards using the hha 5510? I think that's it. But if someones got a really good point against it, I'd love to hear what they have to say. Most of my extended family archery hunts, so I am slightly familiar with that idea of it, but any input is appreciated.
I'm kind of in the same situation. I bought a new compound this past December after using a crossbow for 2 seasons due to a shoulder injury which is now healed.

I went with a QAD drop away at the recommendation of the dealer and so far I have really liked it. I also went with a Trophy Ridge 3 pin Hitman sight. I considered a single pin but never shot one in the prior years I shot a compound so I went with what I was comfortable with. I've a also bought 2 releases, a Scott Little Bitty Goose and Tru-Fire Hurricane. So far I seem to shoot better with the Hurricane and I really like it, but the Scott is good also.
I've been happy with my choices thus far and my accuracy has been good IMHO. I've tried to shoot outside as much as possible with this cruddy weather and will continue to shoot all Spring and Summer in preperation for archery 2014.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Alright, thanks for the replies everyone. Another thing I'm wondering about is stabilizers. I realize its going to be different for everybody, but what I wanna knownos if they are really that necessary. Has anyone noticed an increases in using them? To me they seem like that much extra weight. What exactly are they designed for?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page