The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Staining Antlers

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  KenBuck 
#1 ·
I know I just read this some where on here but can't locate the thread. Someone said they had stained sun bleached antlers before. What color stain did you use?

#2 ·
I was not the one who had mentioned it in the other thread. However, I have stained an 8-point rack for a buddy of mine. It was one of his dad's that had been hanging in a tree for about 12 years or so.

I used Minwax Golden Oak on a rag to stain the entire rack then used Minwax Red Mahogony applied with a small brush and wiped off with the same rag at the bases to darken all of the crevices down near the skull plate.

It actually looks the same as the 4 other racks that I have. And if he don't tell someone that it was bleached out and then stained, They assume that it is right of a freshly killed deer.

#7 ·
Q2,I found this in a magazine years ago and saved it.It came from Tom Hardesty at Atcheson Taxidermy in Butte,Mont.He recommends buying a tube of "burnt umber"Grumbacher oil paint from an art supply store.Squeeze out a three inch length of paint and mix it with six ounces of oil based thinner.Use a rag to lightly wipe the thinned paint onto the antlers.Then wipe it off.Repeat this process,allowing the paint to dry overnight between applications,until you have the color you want.Allow the antlers to dry overnight a final time and then spray with clear acrylic(purchase in art supply store or auto parts store).For a natural look remember to leave the tips of the tines stark white on deer or elk racks.This method should give you a great looking rack.

#8 ·
If its not too much of a hassle could some of you guys post some pics of the antlers you stained? I would like to do some of my sheds and i would like to see what some look like. Thanks so much!

#9 ·
Red,I have never used it because i had no need to.You can check them out on the internet.They seem to be a world class taxidermy.I have emailed them to ask for an explanation of this process and if it is anything different from what i originaly posted i will keep you informed.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.