Goex FFF - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Goex FFF

Does anybody besides me use 3F in the barrel ? When I ask others they say You can't do that I should be using 2F. I use it in my 50's and 54 and would like to try it in my inline 209x50 Encore

Guns are like socks you can never have enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Goex FFF

You can use the 3f in a 50 cal but the 54 usually calls for the 2f.This being said I have shot 3f from my 54 and it was just fine,I saw no difference in that and the 3f.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:23 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yeah I was told about 15 years ago that 80 grains is max for 3f in a 54 cal. My one TC Renigade shoots great at 75 gr. of FFF Goex never has missfired I use 85 gr in both my 50 cals and want to try it in mi Pro hunter 209x50

Guns are like socks you can never have enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Sage

I gave all my 3fg Goex to Bunky.

With Swiss black powder...2fg is perfect for my 54 cal flinter. 3fg Swiss blows patches...a tad too hot. I have shot the 3fg Swiss out of my White Super 91 .504 cal. inline & know a lot of guys that use it with outstanding results.

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Racin41

FFF is what i use in my flinter with no problems ,like loggy said its a tad hotter and burns faster so that could be the issue ppl are looking at when comparing it too FF

WHO ME ????
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:20 AM

I used it in my old flint lock. I have the new firestorm and just use Pyrodex in it since I need it for the inline. The flint shot really well with the FFF.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:46 AM

I prefer Goex and Swiss 2f in my TC .50 flinters over the 3f because my rifle prefers it. I do use Goex 3f in my RMC to shoot sabots and it likes it. I need to test it out with the Swiss 2f and see how it does yet. I don't think there is a pressure issue using 3f in a 50/54 but I think you have to let your rifle tell you which is better

I think alot of people who use the 3f do so because they can use 1 granulation for charge and prime. Some of the experts I have talked to in the past claim that a flinter should use the 2f over the 3f for a more consistant ignition. I like the 2f with a patched round ball and the extra speed from 3f isn't worth much in power, range or trajectory.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Our family of flinters uses Goex FFFg in all our sparkers; .36, .45, .50, .54, and .58 calibers. We don't push the loads in any of these guns because they perform quite well with reduced charges of powder. More isn't always better with black powder.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

3 f in 12 ga shotgun & 58 penn rifle--no problems
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:00 PM

Common sense. 3fg is a little faster and a little higher pressure than 2f. If you go pushing envelopes it could have disastrous effect. The old rule of thumb was 3f for anything 45 cal and under and 2f for 50 and over to perhaps 75 cal and over where folks suggested 1 fg

Modern steel and manufacturing produces much tougher steel and barrels. Modern Guns can usually handle a hotter powder within reason. Just don't go putting 150 grains of 3fg in a 10 guage shot gun with a twist barrel. You may actually get away with "super loads" in big bore guns, but then again, you might not. Why risk it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page