Cleang an ML pinned barrel - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Cleang an ML pinned barrel

When I clean the barrrel of my Flinter I use the hot water and soap method and this requires me to remove the barrel from the stock. Not a problem beause the barrel is secured with wedges. What do people do with flinters that have the barrel secured with pins rather than wedges? It appears to me that these pinned barrrels are not easy to take out of the stock and the constant dismounting would ruin the stock and lead to placing the barrel lugs in differnt places.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Sage

Re: Cleang an ML pinned barrel

Brad Emig suggested that I do NOT remove the pins holding my PA Mountain Rifle stock/bbl he built.. Put a wooden tooth pic in touch hole, fill bbl with hot/soapy water and flush. He put a layer of vasoline or some other protectant where bbl joins stock so per Brad...no need to remove unless gun was submerged in saltwater or sumpin and a total dismantling required.. Just passing on what Brad suggests for what its worth. He knows a tad more than me so i follow his directions to a T!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use a piece of clear surgical tube. Remove lock assy, Take the touch hole liner out, screw in the surgical tube. Place other end of tube in a bucket of hot soapy water. I use a 2.5 inch round cleaning patch soaked in the soapy water and inserted into the barrel with cleaning jag attached to ram rod. as you push the rod down the barrel you will notice the bubbles in the bucket, leave the tube submerged and pull the ram rod out but not completely. This will draw the hot soapy water into the barrel. push rod back in , pull rod back out, etc. This will clean the barrel.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 PM

Brad told me the same thing that Loggy said. If you look at TVM's site they have an article on cleaning flinters. Brad also said that you should also never take the touch hole liner out. He said that you will get more pressure with it in and some you just can't take out except with an ezout

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:00 PM
Sage

Sounds good but you aint taking the touch hole liner out of my Colerain barrel!! Its there for the long haul unless you wanna almost drill out & retap it!! lol

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The touch hole in my Douglas XX has a removal liner, screws out with a alan wrench, which I remove.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Part of the Community

Both of my guns are pinned and I remove the barrel from the stock all the time, I use a small punch and hammer to remove the pins.Just take care setting the barrel back in the stock so you don't damage the wood. This has worked fine for me for years.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

When I install my touch hole liners, they are there to stay as well. I never remove my barrels either. Hot soapy water and lots of patches. If you don't feel that's getting it clean enough for you, go to The Log Cabin Shop

E-Z CLEAN FLINTLOCK GUN CLEANER $19.95 (+Ohio Sales Tax) EA

263304!

Allows quick, complete barrel cleaning on all flintlock guns. Simply remove the lock, clamp unit over touch hole and place the weighted tube in a container of solvent. Swabbing the bore causes the solvent to be pumped into the barrel and expelled on the down stroke. Light weight, easy to carry, fits any barrel up to 1-1/8 across the flats.

This might be what you want.

The best guns go off with a rock in the lock....
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 11:48 PM
Part of the Community

When I build a gun with the barrel pinned to the stock or where an under rib or forestock as on an underhammer is pinned to the barrel, I treat the enclosed areas of the metal with a long-term rust preventative compound that also seals to the wood if it's not bedded. The lock should be fit tightly to the barrel, that joint can also be easily sealed. I use long-term rust preventative & lubricant on the lock internals so it need not be removed for routine cleaning as the mortise will loosen resulting in a floppy lock and having a floppy lock is like having a limp ... well, you get the idea.

Plug the vent/nipple and put the bore on to soak for a period of time then dump the bore out. Use a padded vise or some such device to hold the gun with the muzzle and vent/nipple pointed down. Clean with a well saturated patch allowing the excess water to blow out the vent/nipple hole, with it pointed down, rarely will anything get wet other than the exterior of the lock around the pan, frizzen and hammer; those areas that need to be wiped down anyway. If you want an added layer of protection, cover the stock around the muzzle and lock with press and stick plastic wrap (I forget the brand name but it's in the grocery store with the other plastic food wraps and storage bags).
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In a a nut shell it wasput to me this way----there is so much (thickness) in a barrel it isnt necessary to worry about rust or anything else hurting the metal so not to worry about removing the pins. I had Don put wedges in my 44" barrel and I guess after a few years I might take them out to actually take a gander this spring. I will report back my findings as to if it necessary or not to do so. My Lyman I always di so but not with this one.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page