peep for TC hawken... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

peep for TC hawken...

i am considering going to a peep for my TC 50cal Hawken...

what are the "good" peeps? which one do i need for my rifle??

can i leave my fiberoptic front sight on or hows that work with the peep apertures? never added a peep to a rifle...theyve had them on it and i know how to shoot with them...but i think leaving my FO front sight would be nice....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: peep for TC hawken...

FWIW...I have the Lyman on my T\C Hawken. I really like the sight. But I also really like peep sights. I have my front FO sight on.....but it's best to remove your "regular" rear barrel sight. I hope this helps.

Here are a few pics of it.

“Nothing external to you has any power over you.” -Emerson

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

thanx dave....those pics were helpful!

hows it mounted? i have 2 big screws and 1 much smaller screw in the middle on my tang....i want to say that the smaller screw doesnt go into the wood, just into the metal but could be wrong...been a while since i had it off...ive seen a ton of TC's and havent seen one with that smaller screw i have...but havent seen one with a serial number as low as mine either..

just curious if the tang needs drilled and tapped for the peep or if it mounts with existing screws...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

How long have peeps been allowed?

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mauser....That's the exact setup that my tang has. You just remove the back screw that goes into the stock, and the middle (small screw) and they give you 2 new screws to replace the old ones. The new ones screw right into the tang. No drilling or tapping is needed.

Some of the T\C's that didn't have the small middle screw are the one's that needed drilled\tapped. But your's is like mine and it's just an easy drop in.

HighCountry....I think that this past year was the 3rd year for peep sights. If I'm wrong someone should\may jump in to correct me.

Dave

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

awesome Dave....looks like i'll try to pick one up! i think i'll like it...if i dont, i'll throw it on here or ebay or somewhere for sale...

HC, dave is right..its been a year or 2 or 3 i'd say...

i like the rocklock season and hunting with a rocklock...but im glad we now have the option to use different projectiles, and sight options...though i hunt with a round ball..

Dave, does the peep help flinching/seeing the flash?? just thought by the pics that it just might even help in that department as well...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:37 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

I love mine that now that I have figured out which rear aperature size to use. I have the sight pictured in this thread and left the FO sight on the front. There were 2 rear aperatures that you can put in and you can even leave them out. I liked the smallest one but it did not let enough light in at dusk/late afternoon. Love the next size up and even shot it some without one. It's sort of a "ghost ring effect without one screwed into the sight.

The most noticable advantage to me is that I seem to get sight picture much quicker than with the fo's. I'm color blind (to an extent) and it really helped. I had a rough time with the iron sights and changed to the fo's almost immediately. The peeps been great to me this year!! Good Luck!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:06 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mauser,

Yeah....one of the nicest benefits of the tang mounted peep sight is it blocks your view of the flash pan. So if you have a tendency to flinch (which I do....or did) the peep sight may help you with that.

As far as the aperature size, I use the larger one. I find it easier to pick up the front sight and also the target. The front sight centers "naturally" in the rear peep.

Practice with it, and I'm sure you will like it.

Dave

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 03:18 AM Thread Starter

thanx alot guys!! i appreciate it! sounds like im going to have to try one!!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Mauser: I use a t/c hunter peep also I drill and tap 2 new holes.I start the first hole about a 1/2" from the front tange screw.I find this set up the best t/c stock do not a lot of drop on the rear stock so setting the peep a little high on the tang helps so you don't have to dig into the stock for a good eye picture.
I also use a red front fiber optic by t/s for the front sight .500 a guy on e bay sell them new for 12.00 bucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page