Priming you pan - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Priming you pan

It seems I see some guys saying that when you prime your flint lock you are to keep the powder away from the touch hole. I myself have been shooting flintlocks since the 80's and never had much luck using that method using different guns. I would get far more flashes in the pan doing it that way. My guns fire just fine with the powder next too the vent,plus the fact when you carry your rifle it would be difficult to keep the powder from covering the vent with walking through the brush and such.
This is just something I'm throwing out there to get your thoughts.
I was on another web sight that some of you may have seen where they tried it in different positions in the pan. they were using a timing system to record ignition times and the powder that was against the touch hole set the charge off faster than when it was away from the vent.
They also experimented with touch holes being at different heights at the pans on flintlocks and I was very surprise at the results seeing it wasn't like what I've be hearing most of my life. They showed the powder going off in the pan plus looking down the barrel. It made me believe that alot of things I was reading were just plan wrong.

God, Family, Country in that order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Priming you pan

I fill my pan with powder to the point that it is full but not being compressed when i close the pan. I figuer the more surface area covered in the pan the more sparks to hit powder = faster ignition.
I have seen those tests they are well thought out and hard to argue with their results.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
The Man

I put it in the touch hole and "guide" the powder into the pan, leaving an "asprin" sized amount at the touch hole in the pan.....not alot..

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:16 PM

I use the same method as you described. As for the touch hole location, I beleive it should be level with the top of the pan (the part of the pan that makes contact with the bottom plate of the frizzen when it's closed) and centered in the chanel - front to back. Mostly though, this is probably an individual thing and varries from rifle to rifle as whatever works best.

Good night Chesty, wherever you are......
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:31 PM
The Man

Gun gets moved from my over my shoulder,cradled across my arm,side to side,who knows where the powder is located in the pan when it goes off.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:34 PM

One little touch from the primer... usually half full or les. Goes off like a centerfire.

Shootin' Deers and Drinkin' Beers... That's How I Roll...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i use a T/C pan primer i cut most of the spout off....so it only drops bout a 1/2 to 1 gr of powder in the pan, it looks like pepper in my pan there is so little powder in there....always goes BOOM, less is better at least for my guns...............bob

exocet w/STS, munch mount
boo string and trigger
2117 w/ blazer vanes and brass inserts
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

After loading my gun I use a pick in the touchhole---I them prime with 3F in the pan----just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Too much isnt always best...you want the flame to pass quickly into the touch hole not make a bonfire around it... Zimm and GBJ have a great annaolgy I think for this one from some time past--hope they chime in.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:00 PM
Part of the Community

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featur...ons-in-pan.php

Check this out.

Bill
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:03 PM

if you fill your pan and touch hole, your creating a fuse...

what you want is a FLASH of flame when the pan ignites...to get that, you need to play around with pan charges...my TC pan is always less than half full..and i keep most of it on the outside of the pan away from the touch hole...

ive filled mine full and loaded up the touch hole...the fuse effect is real and isnt something guys on the net made up lol....my lock time is alot slower when i fill er up...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page