Late season strategies? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Late season strategies?

Seems like a lot of late season flintlock hunters, put drives on etc... Is this most common of flintlock hunters or do many have success stalking and or still hunting? Food sources in the snow?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Late season strategies?

Nice Post. I know we have a lot of success driving. Although being on winter break last year I hunted alone almost everyday mostly still hunting. Had chances at many deer just never took a shot.

If its outdoors I'm willing to give it a try.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

If your hunting alone find the food. drives work as well just move slower than normal I have found they tend to be a little more spooky late season.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:54 PM

I like to still hunt in the late season and find the food sources.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 PM

ive got 3 treestands set up in a triangle they are about 500 -700 yards apart ill sit in one for a couple hours then slowly walk to the next one it might take me a hour or too but i see deer

hate hang fires
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 PM

We do both. Put on drives on Saturday with friends and still hunt during the week when most people are at work. Both have been successful.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:22 AM
Banned

Location: Armstrong Co. Pennsyltucky, Camp : Huston Hill, Elk /Cameron County

Slow and quiet stalks and slow and quiet drives. I do the driving and usually get the best shots. I'd say we are about 50/50 with success doing this. We usually are 2 to 5 hunters at a time. 1 or 2 drivers.

I prefer the stalk myself and will be doing that in about....oh......10hrs. from now!!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

From your experiences, what are the best late season food sources when most if not all apples are gone, and in years when the acorn crop is non-existent, and farm land is not near? Basically mountain deer diets?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:13 PM
Regular Visitor

Have to agree with rancher if hunting alone find the food, the colder the temps the better around the food source, that being said one of my most memorable hunts was in half a foot of fresh snow picked up tracks and followed them for hours(weekday) finally cut up over a top when they started around a point and eased my way to the edge caught them standing 40 or so yards below me watching their backtrail, leaned against tree psssboom, smoke cleared and had my venison kinda made me feel like I had done it the way it had been done long ago, although I was sure glad for the snow when came time to start the drag was a long way from the truck.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 05:56 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I absolutely refuse to do drives where I hunt. We used to, and we never saw deer moving on their own accord in the late season, if we even saw SIGN of deer. Stopped driving the place, now I see deer more often than I don't when I go sit a stand on a food source or travel corridor. No, this isn't for everyone, but if you can manage it on the place you hunt (obviously only works on private land, if public land, you may as well just get there early so you're the first to drive the place), it is highly effective.

Next year, we plan to do more to grow/encourage growth of late season food that will keep deer feeding where we can have a chance to see them. I really enjoy the late season a lot. Not many people out, and I see just as many deer as I did in bow season. Plus, out of a few of us, I'm usually the only one who hunts then, so it's kinda nice having the run of the place. Like hunting with the others, but the solitude can be fun, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page