ideas?? ASAP?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

ideas?? ASAP??

so today i went to crack back the hammer on the TC Hawken and when it did, i heard/felt it click in and took my hand off...gun was rested on a telephone pole and i was waitin on the deer to come out of the brush into the field..

well as soon as i took my hand off the hammer, it fell and the gun went off....thankfully it was pointed in a safe direction and i didnt get hurt...

set trigger was NOT set...10000% sure...

after that i cocked the hammer back a couple times and it fell each time..if it doesnt fall on its own, it falls with light pressure if i push on it...definitely not safe to hunt with in that condition!

any thoughts or ideas?? trigger is adjusted properly....its not a trigger issue..seems like it isnt catching properly..

i carried it in rifle season and remember having troubles getting it to lock at half cock if i lowered it from full cock...

nothing happened to it...it was cased since last season and taken care of...

havent taken the lock off yet but dont know that its going to tell me much...not sure theres much to be seen or that could be loose or anything...but i dont know..only thing i could figure is maybe something is worn??

any ideas? thoughts? fixes? i know i need to send it to TC or get a new lock...but id like to finish out the season if i could get it working safely and trust it...

i got buddies with the same gun...i'll likely try stealin a lock from one of them to get me through the season...or sit it out..unless ya'll know something that might be the problem like a loose screw or something silly....

be careful out there guys...check your locks...i know today could have been terrible....ive never had an issue with this flinter in the 7 seasons i owned it...i still cant believe it happened...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:30 AM

Re: ideas?? ASAP??

Wow,

First, glad to know that you are not hurt.
Second, it would not hurt to take the lock off and see if you can tell if something is not right. You might want to compair it to a friends. Your best bet might be to swap with a friends that is not using his to get you through the season then send it to TC.

good luck and keep us posted

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Had a similar problem, with the same gun, a few years back and was told to replace the part in the lock called the 'fly'. It's a very small piece, and very inexpensive. It fixed the problem. Just my $.02 . Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/manuals...owder_Guns.pdf

Copy and paste this web address and look at page 4. The little black piece in the picture of the cap lock is the 'fly'. Hope the web address works for you.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:51 AM

mickeyd is correct. Check the fly on the half-cock and make sure that it is there and that it is not broken.

Also make sure that there is no build-up in the mouth of the tumbler.

Finally, make sure you do not have the lock screw(s) overtighted. It can pinch the spring and tumbler against the wood causing the hammer to not catch when at fullcock.

Hope this helps.

GBJ
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 AM
Part of the Community

I had something similar happen a few years ago with a TC Hawkins. the small screw underneath the trigger that adjusts the trigger pull, backed out.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:05 AM Thread Starter

thanx guys....i'll pull the lock in the morning and check the fly and see if anything seems loose...

thinking about the last time it was off, i remember 2 screws in there..they both need to be tight? or are they trigger adjustment screws? i remember 2 screws side by side right about the area of the fly...i know rifles have 2 trigger adjustment screws...maybe my problem could be with them?? or do they just need to be tightened down??

i wont replace anything...its going to TC on a 1 way trip...i been meaning to send it back for updating as it is the old style hammer...but when i remember its almost huntin time...then i clean her up real good and put her away and dont think about sending the lock in...

i'll let ya'll know what i see tomorrow when i take the lock off..really feels like something isnt catching at full cock to me...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 AM

The hole that the fly sits in on the lock plate is probably egged out; will have to send it to TC to fix that. As someone mentioned already you should check the 2 screws on the little plate in the upper right hand corner of the lock first though.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

mossie, those 2 screws need tightened down tight? not backed out or "adjusted" any other way?? thanks..
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 09:19 AM

Just snugged up; if they are too tight the hammer won't get full power of the spring and if too loose the hammer will fall too easy. I had trouble with the fly hole being egged out and I had the same trouble as you have so I would look at that; it's not safe. They sent me a new lock of the new design and it's a much better sparker.

The best solution is to get on the phone to any buddies you have that are tagged out already and see if they use a TC gun. Borrow thier lock and it will solve your problem. When you send it to TC don't call just send it with a note discribeing the problem and also say it eats flints and doesn't give good sparks. They will probably just send you their new and much improved lock design for free.

Are you anywhere near Greenville PA? I have one you could use. I would also check to see if you just had the set trigger adjusted too light and just touched the trigger and it went off. You do know that if the set trigger is pulled back it stays that way until fired with the front trigger and it can be fired without setting the rear trigger. Many guys that use a set trigger pull that set trigger after loading it and when they pull the hammer to full cock it already set which saves the time of pulling the set trigger. Personally I don't like set triggers but many do; a properly tuned single trigger is a much safer trigger and much faster too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page