Hornady PA Concials and group sizes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Hornady PA Concials and group sizes

I would like to see what kind of groups sizes some of you are getting at 75 yard ranges with the Hornady PA concial .50 240 grain ball-ets. State your rifle, powder charge, twist rates and whatever else you may think might be relative.

I have a little TC PA Hunter carbine that I have not used in quite a few years; I bought some PA conicals to test out but have not got out yet. I am hoping they shoot alright; I know I shot them years ago but can't remember them as being real accurate. I do remember paper patching some of them as an experiment to see if it would tighten them up in the bore. I always have been afraid of them slipping off the charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 05:10 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Hornady PA Concials and group sizes

Lyman GPR, 80gr FFg, 1-2" off the hood of a Jeep wrangler at 50 yards. Off-hand at 75 yards, hitting a soda can isn't real tough to do.

The GPR has a twist of 1:60 or 1:66, I believe. Set up for PRB, for sure.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Part of the Community

I would like to hear what you all think of this bullet? Does not one shoot it?

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt for your kids..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pa hunter and 85 gr of shockey's gold...clover leaf groups at 75 yards. Lyman GPR...same load...same groups. Deer at 125 yards is in a whole bunch of trouble but I like em 75 and under.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Regular Visitor

Clover leaf with a Lyman deerstalker (1:48) at 50 yds with pa conical 240g, 80g ff. pie plate size At 100 yds......... Best my eyes could do with open sights.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Part of the Community

My buddy & I both shoot PA hunters, his is older without the "QA" or whatever they call the newer ones that are not rifled at the muzzle. We zero & practice with plain Hornady patched [censored] & 80gr of FFFg till we're good, and then put 1 or 2 conicals through them. The conicals seem to shoot at least as well as the patched [censored] and are better bullets to hunt with. My rifle has a peep sight so it seems to give tighter groups than the other one, and 2" at 75 yards is a dead deer every time. Worried about the bullet slipping off the charge? It's possible, but I always ramrod the load one last time when I sit down, or climb up, or wherever I'm hunting. Good luck!

Forget about the danger; think of the fun!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 PM

Used them for quite a while. I like them. Use 85gr.fff in a Lyman deerstalker. Get under 2" @75.

Anybody can shoot deer on the farm ground....You earn it in the mountains.......
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have been using the Hornady's or the Buffalo Ballet's for the last 5 years. Both shoot the same and are excellent. (50 Caliber from a Green Mt. barrel)

I've never had one "slide away" from the powder charge even though you think they would because of how easy they are to load.

I do put a T\C bore button between the conical and the powder charge just to keep any bore butter from "leaching" into the powder charge. I don't know if that could actually happen.,....but that's what I do. Besides, shooting it with a bore button seems to keep the bore less fouled for the next loading.

SW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page