Today I make a trip to Cabin Creek!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Today I make a trip to Cabin Creek!!!

Well guys, and gals, as the subject says I went for a drive to Cabin Creek today. Yup, I got the ball rolling on a new flinter!!!
I am getting a 54 cal Colonial Va Rifle (Brad also called it a Lancaster/York rifle)
with brass mounts and a curly maple stock, silver oval wrist inlay with my initials, and trad finishes on wood and metal.
My dad and I probably spent all but 3 hours at the shop, and Brad showed us all around and the various projects that he and his son are working on. Oh hey Bunky, he has an authentic Dickert that is is doing some restoration work on. Anyway while going through the shop brad looked at me with a slight glint in his eye and said I was just thinking, I have the perfect piece of wood upstairs for your gun. So I will keep you all posted he said that it should be around 4 months. It will be the longest four months EVER!!

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:59 AM

Re: Today I make a trip to Cabin Creek!!!

why to go on the new gun i understand the waitin part i got 8 more months on mine but i got a 50 cal if you can try to go over there when he is buildin it and get some pics iam hopeing to do ths same thing

hate hang fires
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

what did you order? I would like to check it out during the build, we will see, I am starting a new job soon so my time will be limited.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Sage

Great news brewak!! I just knew that if you visited Brad you would be having him build you a masterpiece!!

Look forward to future reports PLUS seein a pic of Brad Emig holding your rifle just before handing to you!! An overwhelming joyous experience I will never forget!!

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, Loggy the whole exp was fun. I really enjoyed the tour through his shop and seeing all the projects. I was torn between the mountain rifle and the York/lancaster. I chose the york/lancaster because it threw up a little smoother and I liked the way it felt a little more. I just kept picking up the model rifle and checking it out, over and over again

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Brewyak, you couldn't have picked a finer person or more skilled builder than Brad Emig to create your first authentic Pennsylvania long gun. Brad has provided two lefty Yorktowns for me, and the components for a lefty fowler.

We're so fortunate here in Pennsylvania to have so many professional builders carrying on the tradition of providing superior examples of our rich flintlock history. Carry yours with pride and treat it with the care that goes into building one of these wonderful pieces, but use it!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sweet! You will love it!

The best guns go off with a rock in the lock....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I told you Brad is a great guy!! Are you sure that wood wasnt being saved for me???LOL---Ill have to drop by and see yours in the process!! I need to see that Dickert for my future gun he will build. I might just drop off the lock and barrel while Im there.

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all, like I allready said LONGEST FOUR MONTHS EVER
Bunky when he showed me that Dickert I thought of you and got a smile. The longer I was at the shop the more stoked I got. Zimm, I will use it and use it proudly. One thing I told him was how excited I was to be from an area so rich in gun making tradition and who better than to have one of the best in that same area making myself one.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:47 PM

When I first got into muzzle loading, there were only a very few custom makers. There are fortunately several in PA now. However, in the 1960's there were few swamped barrels and the quality of the components just wasn't that great. Today, we are fortunate to have the best barrel and lock makers ever.

I know to some, those of us who have such "custom" guns seem sort of like snobs. The click, sssshhhhhh, boom shown in the movies and experienced by many with mass production guns disappears and the gun just goes boom. better balance, faster and surer ignition, less flinching. Besides that, for a bit more than what some folks spend on the more expensive production guns, you get an heirloom to be proudly handed down to the next generation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page