New to Muzzleloading need help!!!!!!!!! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

New to Muzzleloading need help!!!!!!!!!

High guys just moved to PA a short time ago and just got my first ever flintlock. A T/C Renegade in 50 caliber. Ok I have never muzzleloader hunted before and I want to do it as close to historically correct as I can. (I realize the T/C is not a true historically correct gun but have to go with what one can afford at first)

Here are my questions:

1. What to shoot out of it? Right now it has the stock 1:48 twist barrel. (Hopefully some day a new custom barrel)
I know each gun is different but I also want to know what ball park to start in. Here are my ideas.
- Round ball .490 and .015 patch @ 80 grains of 3F
- PA conical bullet and @ 80 grains of 3f
- Hornady Great Plains bullet and @ 90 grains of 3f

- Also what flint do you recomend for a newbie to start out using

- I read about people swabbing after each shot at the range. What are you using to swab the barrel? A blackpowder cleaner or soapy water?

- What is a resonable range to expect with this rifle I am guessing 50-75 yards would be responsible ranges?

Any and all help would be so greatful, all I know is what I have read about flintlock hunting. Also are after market barrels that much better than the stock barrel? Or any good ideas I did not mention, if I did not mention I probably don't know! LOL

Thank you all so very much!

Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt for your kids..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: New to Muzzleloading need help!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Pennsylvania, and welcome to the unique and wonderful world of shooting flintlocks. Pennsylvania is the only State in the Country to provide a special deer season for flintlocks, and the vast majority of those still shooting flintlocks, hope that it remains just as it is.

I would suggest that you back off a bit with your powder charges, especially since you're using FFFg. At the range, start with 50 grain charges and work your way up, keeping the patching and lube consistent. After 3 to 5 shots with a particular powder charge, swab the barrel,(and this doesn't mean to clean it thoroughly using several patches). I usually use a wet patch and a couple of dry patches between shot groups. Now, step your charge up 5 grains, or so until a group indicates that the barrel is happy with that particular powder, patch, and ball combination.

Rubbing alcohol is an important product for the flintlock shooter. A patch with alcohol is used often on the flint and the frizzen to insure a good shower of sparks from quality black English flints and French amber flints.

Pick the touch hole between every shot, and don't overdue the amount of priming powder. Keep it below the level of the touch hole.

Your 50 to 75 yard range is pretty well dead on. Beyond that limit, your blade front sight will blank out your target quite a bit. You might consider squaring the bottom of your rear sight, if it isn't already.

Each flintlock has its own personality, and will cause consternation at times, but you must be patient because you and your rifle will eventually come to terms, and from then on it will be a long and enjoyable partnership.

Have a great year, and again, welcome to Pennsylvania!

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Berkscoflinter, thank you so much. One question is what do you mean by squaring the rear site? and how do you do that? Also where do you get the english flint order it on line or is there a shop you can buy it at? I live in Butler county PA.

I really do appreaciate all you help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Regular Visitor

I don't know where you are in Butler County but a great shop is Cooperstown Trading Post a few miles south of Butler off of Route 8. There is also Sportsman's Supply in Butler and Gun World in Harrisville that carry flints. There are others around, those are just the ones I am familiar with. I too shoot a Renegade, it's a great gun but I use 80-90 grains of FFg.

What part of Butler are you located in, I'm from Cabot.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Sounds like you pretty much have it together already. I agree with berks. Most sporting goods depts at Wally World sell cut flints. English are preferable but a bit harder to fit They will be harder to find as well. You can order from a number of suppliers. There's a guy named (I think) Rich Pierce that can sell a doz. reasonably. (All he sells) tell him your a newbie and what gun you have, he'll do the rest. TC's frizzens are known to wear out eventually so just keep that in mind.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

DanO my adress in Harmony but I live about 5 miles or so north on a farm on Yellow Creek road.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I use a square needle file to remove the "U" shape found in many fixed rear sights. File a slight draft facing the front sight so light isn't reflected off the bottom of the square.
The square-bottomed rear sight and the vertical sides of the front sight resting in the square provide a more accurate sight picture.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 07:42 PM

we are having muzzleloader shoot sunday and its in butler county at the morain sportsmen club you are more then welcome to come and watch or shoot with us it starts at 1 oclock but iam there around 12;30 just pm me or ask me here if you have any ?

hate hang fires
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 08:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bucky, here is where you will advance your flintlock knowledge. These folks will be serious flintlock shooters, and you'll receive direct and meaningful suggestions about your flintlock, and how to treat it.

Pay attention, and come away with a new-found appreciation of your rifle and all flintlock rifles for the past three and a half centuries!

Do all you can now to provide confidence in your ability to harvest a whitetail in the seasons to come. In Pennsylvania, binoculars will indicate a legal buck for open-sighted flintlocks, and I can count on two or three fingers of one hand, the bucks, a scope aided the harvest.

This state was settled and advanced from East to West with flintlock rifles and fowlers. We commerate these early pioneers with America's Only Flintlock Deer Season!

Enjoy the Season. It is supported by those of us who feel Pennsylvania's history of 17th. and 18th. Century gun-builders, means something.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-12-2011, 12:57 AM

berks i coulded agree more with you on what flintlock season means to alot us.i will say everytime i go to a shoot i try and listen to see if i can learn something or just here some trick somebody has, or have tried

hate hang fires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page