T/C rear sights - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

T/C rear sights

I think Thompson makes the worst rear sight you could put on a gun. Does anyone know of a replacement sight with a square notch that you can actually see with older eyes instead of the tiny nick they put in their rear sight blade? One that will use existing screw holes and is adjustible and fits on a New Englander 54 cal round barrel? Or has anyone opened up the notch with a file, I love the sight on my CVA but it's a hex barrel. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 05:55 PM

Re: T/C rear sights

I don't know of any that will fit for sure but there are many primitive sights that could be modified to make it work for sure. I use the TC fiber optics and my opinion is that I really like them. They are easy to use and adjust and can see them just fine.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 08:12 PM

It is a little known secret that scope manufacturers pay the gun manufacturers to put lousy sights on their guns. Have you ever seen decent open sights on a new made gun? Black powder OR modern?

There is a way to clean up the older TC sights that have that goofy curve and little round hole. File the center hole part square with a small file and file across the top to make it square. The old round top front sight blade was garbage also. I filed the round part off the front blade. Worked much better.

TC once sold both fixed open replacement rear sight and a replacement front sight. It was called the Hawken replacement rear sight. In cat no 8, it was listed as product number 907.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

As Zimmer suggests, the best, and cheapest way to solve rear sight problems, is simply to SQUARE the rear sight. I file mine to provide light on each side of the front sight as it settles in the squared notch of the rear sight.

As old eyes continue to downgrade, widen the squared notch in the rear sight. When you can no longer distinguish the rear sight from the front sight, cross your arms on your chest, shine your best dentures, and oggle the cleavages as they lean over your coffin.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 12:18 AM

here's the catalogue page with the sights.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Hey, thanks a bunch to each of you who responded. I appreciate the info, guess I'll try the file thing first and hope it works. Zimmerstutzen you must not throw any old adds away. I once saw an old mz in a pawn shop and the rear sight had been moved forward on the barrel about 5 times to get it back in focus and each of the old barrel slots had been filled. I guess it worked fine until he started to run out of barrel. Thanks again.....Cojones
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Don't be making light of tired, worn out, old eyes. Every new season finds me widening the square slot in the rear sight!

The phrase, "aim small, to miss small", has always appealed to me since the movie, "The Patriot". Attempting to "aim small" through fuzzy sights, makes "missing small" more and more difficult each year.

I think I'll need to spend more range time shooting roundballs through my .58 cal. fowler. It fits me, and I can readily see the silver turtle front sight. Fifty yards and under may become my future deer-whacking range, and provide smug, shoulder-shrugging excuses for total misses.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

several years ago I saw a round rubber washer with adhesive on one side to stick to your glasses with a pinhole in it that worked like a peep sight. I guess I could make one out of electrical tape and use a hole punch to get a nice round hole in it to give me a clear sight picture of the rear sight and just leave it the rear sight on the gun.......John
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2011, 09:24 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

John, your description of changing your sight window manually, describes our Pennsylvania Flintlock Season, (THE ONLY REMAINING FLINTLOCK ONLY SEASON IN NORTH AMERICA), to a tee.

Since 1974, those of us adamently adhering to keeping this one-of-a-kind season unique to flintlock rifles and fowlers only, have faced a great deal of pressure from shooters of modern in-line weapons. The in-line shooters are interested in one thing, and that is, harvesting a whitetail well beyond the range of a tempromental flintlock.

Harvesting a whitetail to traditional, after Christmas, flintlock users isn't a, "draw blood" outing. It is more about experiencing and re-enacting hunts by our Pennsylvania ancestors. They settled, expanded, and created the State we know today with identical flintlock rifles and fowlers.

Pennsylvania is indeed unique. We are the last State in America and North America to offer hunters this last-of-its-kind, Flintlock Season! And, for those with limited knowledge of Pennsylvania History, flintlock long-guns helped define Pennsylvania as a Keystone State!

Perhaps, Pennsylvania remains one of the final States to keep Sundays closed to hunting for similar reasons. The main reason being that our Pennsylvania Sunday is the last day of the week States have struggled to change to, "nothing more unique than any other day of the week"!

I feel strongly that we Pennsylvanians must fight as one voice to clarify our Sunday Hunting Position! In this State, we don't kill God's creatures on the Sabbath. Simple!

Pennsylvania, remaining in the last group of hold-outs, warms my heart!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page