First time shooting under my belt - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

First time shooting under my belt

Finally picked up my Dad's TC Hawken yesterday, got all the stuff for it. Stopped at Dixon's on my way home to let them look it over. I thought the frizzen was a little worn, but they told me it was fine and I just needed a new flint since the TC ones are no good they claimed. He threw it on for me and away I went to the range. Never loaded a muzzleloader before, never fired one. No problems loading it, my fathers possibles bag has everything I needed and the guys at Dixons went over everything with me (Those guys are the best if you already didnt know). Considering I havent fired something with open sites since I was a little guy more than 20 years ago. Set up at 50 yards, pulled the set trigger, barely touched the front trigger and BOOM. Wow is that sucker sensitive. Damp patch down the barrel, then load it again......misfire. Another pull of the trigger, pan went off but no shot. Cleaned out the flash hole and reprimed. Another good shot. Then a cleaning patch and third shot. Wife is on my cell telling me to get my butt home. Looked and a nice 3 inch group about 3 inches to the right, I was actually shocked I was even able to hit the paper. I tell ya I dont remember shooting something so darn fun, there's something about preparing the charge then firing it (and wondering if the gun is gonna go off) and having it actually hit the kill zone thats very rewarding. Well gonna clean it today with soap and water, then maybe sight it in better by moving the front sight a smidge.
BTW shooting a .490 round ball with 70 grains FF and a .015 patch.
Can't wait to get out there, wish I could go with you guys on the 2nd.

2017-Working on the house has replaced hunting and fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 03:49 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: First time shooting under my belt

Thats good for the first time.if you've never cleaned one before with soap and water,I'd do it outside unless you like your whole house smelling like sulphur.I personally clean with regular solvent like I do with a centerfire rifle and I've never had any problems.I use rubbing alcohol to clean the flint,lock,and pan. Good luck
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just a little hint that I do,mark your ram rod when you seat your first ball in a clean gun then you always know the ball is seated all the way down for the next few shots.The way I marked mine was when the rod was down in the barrel take your pocket knife and run it around the rod flush with the top of the barrel.
I also tamp my powder lightly with the rod before I put the ball in.

That's the same load Dixons set me up with years ago it works well for me,490 round ball with 70 grains FF and a .015 patch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good advise mossyoak said.You want that ball seated right on top of the powder.That marking will be your guide everytime.And dont forget to load that powder before the ball.Its a pain to extract that ball if you forget.But i learned another way to get the ball out when i forgot to load the powder.Good luck and have fun with it.

A few more tips for you.By good flints like english,german ones.And keep that powder from getting damp.I always put a little duck tape over the pic hole to keep it dry.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Yea thanks guys I just cleaned it with soap and water, after figuring out how to take the barrel off. My dad told me the gun was very accurate, and considering I was just messing around the gun seems quite accurate. Funny after only 3 shots the frizzen has a small ridge on it, just like the bad ones I was shown at Dixons. Its not bad but I really think I should get a new one.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 09:11 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!!!! He is hooked and a gonner for sure!!! Join the club and welcome aboard!

AIM SMALL MISS SMALL
Isaiah40:31Wings of Eagles
Numbers6:24May HIS Face Shine Upon You
DeColores
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 11:19 PM
The Man

TC flints never lasted me more than 20 or so shots.Good to see ya got the fever.

The answers to all of life's questions are found in the Bible!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 01:30 AM

Good shootin!! 70 gr. FFG is very comfortable to shoot. 80 gr. is just as accurate and gives a little more oomph!! What flints did Dixon give you?

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:04 AM

good to hear, and as Bunky said welcome to the club. don't be surprised if you become an addict. This is your support group

Friends don't let friends buy inlines
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well I was just looking for something to spark my interest in hunting. I love archery but its 9 months away. I used to be a car maniac and had everything from old musclecars like a '70 Cuda, to a '95 Z28 camaro to AWD talons that I built from the ground up (hence my screename). No more fast cars but I remember the ones that you loved most are the ones you put the most sweat in. That feeling came back to me when i finally shot the smokepole. Its a pain to load, you wonder if its gonna go off, you have to clean it every shot, etc. This gun was obsolete when General Lee invaded my state 140+ years ago. I can finally see why you guys love this so darn much. I'm gonna try and tap the front sight a little right and maybe bump the charge up to 80 grains. BTW the guy at Dixons told me the TC flints were junk and gave me their good ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page